film on top of water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
film on top of water

Occasionaly a sort of film comes on top of my water. Is this excess protein too much dosing of ferts? Does anyone have any ideas? I only dose maybe once a week and im not sure why this is there thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
It's floating organic goo. It can be oils from fish food, poo or your hand. Very common in water. However, if it covers the entire surface of the water, gas will not exchange through it and your fish may have trouble breathing. Fertilizer shouldn't make it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:14 AM
Algae Eater

PTrader: (249/100%)
Try searching, this topic comes up at least every other day. Lots of info on here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
I had this too. That is until i got me a surface extractor. No more ugly film for me http://www.petmountain.com/product/s...w-control.html
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
I found a simple way to deal with this... run a bubble wand. My timer shuts the CO2 shuts off at night and turns the bubble wand one for the next 12 hours. For my 40g, 25g, and 20g... I use a Whisper rated for 40 gallons. My 5.5g uses a rena rated for 10g. You have to make sure you are using a wand and pump that will put out enough air to cause decent surface agitation.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 11:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
is it possible to get this surface film from your co2 canister when it is getting low.I have it in my tank(surface film) it started recently i thought maybe,it might possibly be that.I can't see food being the culpit nor the fish,not that many fish in my tank.I know i may be nearing a refill for the co2,i was thinking it might be end of tank dump....Anybody?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev2eight View Post
I had this too. That is until i got me a surface extractor. No more ugly film for me http://www.petmountain.com/product/s...w-control.html
How large is your tank? How does it connect to your canister filter?

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 11:57 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
How large is your tank? How does it connect to your canister filter?
Tank is a 20gal long and it replaces the intake. Theres a stem in the middle where you could control the flow so it could either intake more from the bottom or the top.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
sorry,didn't mean to hyjack the thead...apologizes
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
Dave, you didn't hijack anything. Your question was pertinent to the subject at hand. It's all about what causes the film and how to manage it.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your question.

Rev, I have considered getting something like that skimmer. It's very small though so I don't think it would work for my 75g tank, and it's too big (physically) for my smaller tanks. So I'm not being easy to satisfy!

I think I'll stick with my current method which is to be certain there is some movement of surface water to break up any film. It's gentle movement, but it does the job.

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
I use the fluval surface skimmer, looks exactly like that tom's.
I used to have film no matter what now its as clear as it can be and I love it.

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
i get that stuff too sometimes.

i just deal with it by turning off the filter and skimming it off the water surface using my python.

i unscrew the gravel tube and 3 foot hose and i make it syphon directly from the green tube with the ball valve, holding it at a slight angle.

it takes a while if the layer has been ignored too long and is very thick.
one thing about this stuff is that it probably helps keep co2 in the water
another is that it cuts down light efficiency.
and when you feed flakes they can seem to float on there forever.

so i just syphon it straight off the top when it gets to be a problem.

i could also run a timer and do the airstone for a few hours through the night..... but i need MORE TIMERS!!

ive been buying so much wierd stuff for this aquarium thing lately i think the feds are tapping my phone thinking theyre onto something huge.... they probably fly over my place trying to scan infrared heat signature!!

Discus, (The Other White Meat.)

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
I have one of the toms surface skimmers on my 75 gal. I run dual Marineland C220 filters on opposite sides and the skimmer is attached to one of them. It works great. No surface scum ever and I think surface turbulence is fairly minimal (although I don't run pressurized CO2 so its not as much an issue for me).

The amount of water that you need to overflow in order to keep the surface clear is minimal so this thing would be fine for almost any size tank IMO. You just need to make sure you are not throttling your filter too much (I've heard of cases where the filter is too powerful and the skimmer starts making weird noises no matter how its adjusted.)

-Charlie

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhazard View Post

The amount of water that you need to overflow in order to keep the surface clear is minimal so this thing would be fine for almost any size tank IMO. You just need to make sure you are not throttling your filter too much (I've heard of cases where the filter is too powerful and the skimmer starts making weird noises no matter how its adjusted.)

-Charlie

mine used to make weird noises. Sounded like water draining into a kitchen sink, so i just broke off a few of those plastic tabs on top and it stopped.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-09-2008, 10:35 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you feed any frozen food? If so, go buy a tea strainer at Walmart (or any store that might carry one) and thaw your food out in that, running it under hot tap water. That will drain off most of the left-over organics that the frozen food was originally frozen in, and should in turn decrease the amount of surface film on top of the water.
If you want a quick solution, I've heard of using a paper towel, and just placing it on top of your tank (while the filter's off) and then removing it immeadiately. Haven't tried this myself though, since I've never had such a problem.

HTH,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode