Purigen for High Nitrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen for High Nitrate?

I am having trouble keeping up with my nitrate level, mostly due to a 10" Pleco that poops like a goose, and that I don't want to get rid of. Thirty and forty percent weekly water changes are just barely keeping up with the nitrates at 30. That is a lot of water changing for a heavily planted, CO2 injected, 90g tank. Ammonia and nitrite are both zero, so bacteria are doing their job. I am currently running two bio-reactors that don't seem to be doing all that much to help.

My question: Will Seachem Purigen in the canister filter help reduce the nitrate level, and if not, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
I am having trouble keeping up with my nitrate level, mostly due to a 10" Pleco that poops like a goose, and that I don't want to get rid of. Thirty and forty percent weekly water changes are just barely keeping up with the nitrates at 30. That is a lot of water changing for a heavily planted, CO2 injected, 90g tank. Ammonia and nitrite are both zero, so bacteria are doing their job. I am currently running two bio-reactors that don't seem to be doing all that much to help.

My question: Will Seachem Purigen in the canister filter help reduce the nitrate level, and if not, any suggestions?
Purigen will not reduce nitrates. I suggest some floating plants or water wisteria. Some plant that is a known nitrate hog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser84 View Post
Purigen will not reduce nitrates. I suggest some floating plants or water wisteria. Some plant that is a known nitrate hog.
The heck it won't. It does indeed.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Purigen definitely helps with nitrates. It breaks down organics which cause excess nitrates.

What do you dose for ferts? You can reduce your kno3 also.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You can swap out equal parts K2SO4 for the KNO3.
If that is a common Pleco it gets up to 24"(or more).

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:52 PM
Algae Grower

Yes, purigen reduces organics so it will help.

However, I have an 11" common pleco and have no problem with nitrates, in fact I add KNO3 to the tank. However, I've been doing 50% water changes weekly for years. For a CO2 injected tank such as yours, it's almost a requirement because the waste in the tank produced is higher. Plants too can produce waste, especially if not healthy.

I am not sure how large your tank is, but I'd double check how you measure nitrates because those home tests are very inaccurate and can be way off the real truth. In a heavily planted tank nitrates are a big plus.
The problem with fish is high organics, not the final product of organics which is nitrates.

So if you want to reduce organics, clean up the substrate, the filters regularly, regular water changes, Purigen helps reduce organics too.
Make sure your pleco receives a proper diet, if a herbivore for example, make sure it's not gorging itself on blood worms and such.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the help.

I do have a number of plants that use a lot of nitrate, Water Sprite and Wisteria in particular.

For fertilizers I use Seachem Flourish and root tabs. If this Pleco gets to 24", then I'll have him for dinner.

Another reason for the problem, in addition to the Pleco, is that this tank has been setup for over five years and I am sure has a lot of organic buildup. I cannot vaccum it due to the plants. However, there is no sediment accumulation on the substrate. Because the ammonia and the nitrite are at zero, the bugs are apparently converting the organics OK. I wasn't sure if the Purigen would have any direct effect on nitrates. I guess I will give it a try and see.

Thanks for all the replies.... Phil
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
For fertilizers I use Seachem Flourish and root tabs. If this Pleco gets to 24", then I'll have him for dinner.
You may want to consider adding potassium and iron to the mix. There are several commercial solutions out there for this if you don't want to use dry ferts. API Leafzone being a common one found in local stores.

Plecos are actually pretty tasty. Not the easiest fish to clean and not a lot of meat. What can I say, the're an invasive species in Florida. If you can't eradicate them Eat 'em! lol
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah purigen is very helpful in a lot of ways.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Be happy your pleco doesn't uproot and eat EVERYTHING plant wise in the tank... mine does. If yours a "common pleco"? I have an aquaponics system above the tank, water returning from canister filter goes through a pvc tube drilled with large holes that has planters in, use expanded clay media to wick up moisture to roots until they grow long. Not a completely solution but its cut back my water changes.
Do you have hygro in your plant list (specifically Hygrophila Corymbosa and/or Angustifolia)? Its a good nitrate consumer but also needs a lot of pottasium.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My Pleco doesn't eat the plants, but if I don't leave him some clear paths from one side of the tank to the other, he makes his own. He primarily breaks off pieces of the more brittle plants like Wisteria, etc.

I have often thought of a refugium of some sort for more nitrate consuming plants, but due to the custom cabinet, it would have to be in the cabinet under the tank. Not sure I have enough room left under there with the CO2 tank, and the canister filter and all.

Thanks for the tip on the Hygro, and for the response.... Phil

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode