novice to ferts please advise. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
novice to ferts please advise.

I am just gettin my feet wet with the dry ferts... In the past I've used leaf zone and other bottle fertilizers. I have potassium phosphate, sulfate and nitrate. Where I'm confused is most of the recommended dosing regimes I've seen are for high light pressurized co2 equiped tanks... Can't I still use ferts in a "highish" level lighted tank with no co2?

Here is what I have running... Two 55 gallon tanks planted with anubias hornwort java fern java moss crypts and some type of grass.

So how I'm understanding this dosing is u need to achieve x ppm by adding x teaspoon(s) of said fertilizers
So if I just cut down on the amount recommend for sulfate phospate and nitrate would I be on the right track and just tweek it tell it's producing results?

I am wanting to add fertilizers cause I'm not really providing anythin to my plants besides h2o light and fish waste right now.

Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Hi the_scaper,

Welcome to TPT!

Sure you can dose a lower amount than the recommended Estimative Index (EI) quantities in lower tech tanks. I would suggest dosing at about 1/2 the recommended level and adjust from there depending upon plant growth.

Here is a 10 gallon, low light (PAR=25), no CO2 tank that was dosed EI at half the recommended level.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Certainly you can reduce EI dosing for non-CO2 tanks. I would highly recommend you start using Excel or something similar.

Here is a post that I made listing the appropriate amounts for common US tanks. Note, in the first paragraph you use 1/3 for Excel based tanks. You will need to perform weekly water changes using this method.

If you're not into doing water changes or using excel check out this post, Non CO2 methods by Tom Barr.

If you want to learn the basics of non-limiting nutrients check out this post, The EI concept explained.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the quick reply so in ur experience what is the most important out of phosphate sulfate or nitrate? Also is there a easy way to explain par rating cause I'm confused on that instead of wpg
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scaper View Post
Thank you for the quick reply so in ur experience what is the most important out of phosphate sulfate or nitrate? Also is there a easy way to explain par rating cause I'm confused on that instead of wpg
They are equally important. Plants will be limited by the nutrient in least supply.

As far as the lighting, read this thread, Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay so I read threw the different posts u provided and I think I have it down just confused on y it says 15ml/55 gallons what does the 15ml mean? Also I mix the 1/3 of a dose for my low tech setup in 500ml of water? And do that 3 times a week? Correct?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
just confused on y it says 15ml/55 gallons what does the 15ml mean?
15 milliliters per dose.

Quote:
Also I mix the 1/3 of a dose for my low tech setup in 500ml of water? And do that 3 times a week? Correct?
Yes. Three times per week.

Here is the amounts for 1/3 EI for 55 gallons,

KNO3 28.29 gm (approximately 5 1/2 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 4.3 gm (approximately 3/4 teaspoon)
Plantex CSM+B 17.7 gm (approximately 4 teaspoons)
Optional: K2SO4 11.3 gm (approximately 1 3/4 teaspoons)

Mix the Plantex in a separate bottle. The others can be combined into one if your prefer. I like keeping them separate for flexibility but that's just my personal preference.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I'm a little confused here I didn't mean for this to happen but I posted on the low tech forum and the fert water parameters forum and got two different answers on what to dose... So of I'm understanding this correctly I mix all the stuff in a 500ml bottle or whatever and only put 15ml in at a time 3 times a week? Sorry I'm slow at pick in up the technique but I'm a worry wort when tryin new stuff in my tank.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't read your low tech thread. My guess is the dosing suggestions are not based on 50% weekly water changes. This makes a huge difference when it comes to dosing. Just a reminder, the doses I listed are when Excel is used like I suggested earlier. Without Excel the dose would be around 1/25th of a full EI dose not 1/4-1/3. Those two variables are probably where the conflicting doses arise.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode