Sudden High Phosphate in Cycling Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (9/100%)
Sudden High Phosphate in Cycling Tank

I just checked the parameters of my 10 gallon which is still cycling with ADA Amazon II and Powersand. It's been cycling since May 23 and until today nothing looked out of the ordinary. Suddenly this afternoon the PO4 has gone from 0.25 to 5. To be certain it wasn't the tap water I checked that and got a reading of 0.25. I'm not cycling with fish so the only thing in the tank is plants....a lot of plants and two pieces of driftwood which have been in from day one. And the only change is that the CO2 was stopped five days ago due to breakdown of the little pump which diffused it. I've been dosing Florish Excel since I set up the tank and continue to do so. The ph has gradually crept up from a low of 6.8 to a reading today of 7.2. The other parameters are NH3 0, NO2 0.2, NO3 5, GH is below 20 mg/L, KH is 40 mg/L. Any suggestions as to what is going on??? I'd suspect the driftwood but as I said it's been in since day one. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (9/100%)
I just did a 30% waterchange and the PO4 has dropped from 5 mg/L to 2.5. I'll be doing another waterchange in a little while but the question remains is why did it suddenly escalate from 0.25 to 5.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
Froghair,

Why would you test for anything other than NH3/NH4 when cycling? The reason why I'm asking is that all your other readings mean zip until you see your NH levels recede to 0/.5 after a 12 hr period. If your doing a fish less cycle than you should be shooting for 4-5 ppm NH4 levels. (which makes me wonder why the WCs?) when the Bacteria begin to develop these levels will come down... when they do after about 12 hrs of first adding them then I would begin to test for No2. thats it though. only after the No2 drops back to 0 within a 12 hr period consistenly... would I begin to check the other parameters. this means that you have enough bacteria established to handle your fish loads. Nitrite Bacteria develop allot slower than the bacteria that ingests your ammonia.

Troy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode