Can you recommend a liquid fert Regime? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you recommend a liquid fert Regime?

Hey guys I've got a high tech tank, high light, pressurized co2.

I'm using seachem liquid ferts, nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and the comprehensive. Using ada aqua soil.

It's aprox 70gal tank (225l) could someone help with a Regime? My nutrient uptake is extremely high, cannot raise my nitrates above 0 even triple dosing recommended amounts of nitrogen.

I dose nitrogen everyday with iron. Potassium second daily and comprehensive third daily, does this sound Ok?

I don't understand the science an math of it all sorry.

Also not sure how to measure my co2, I run aprox 3bps but not sure how much is dissolved, was using a drop checker and it always said it was way to high but my fish, ph and algae issues suggested otherwise. I have very soft tap water with ph of 7. Tank water is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates with one 25% w/c a week and pruning

I'm running 4x39w t5 HO 6 hours with co2 running 8 hours (starting 2 hours before light) tank only has cardinal tetras and ottos so definitely not overcrowded or over fed.

any help would be great, preferably in terms remembering I don't have a chemistry degree, thanks so much!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
PPS Pro and EI are the two most popular fertilizer methods around these parts.

[50g][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is my thread on the algae issues I had been having but are slowly resolving

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=661898

Yeah I know but I don't understand those methods, are you able to break it down to simpler Terms?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 07-03-2014 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Back to back posts

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
so the basis behind both of those methods are dry ferts. they are cheaper and more versatile.

EI method's premise is to supply the plants way more ferts than they need. and every week getting rid of the extra with a 50+% water change and no ferts for a day.

PPS from what ive read is more gentle approach. its supplying just barely enough nutrients to the plants to grow slowly. this means less water changes.

both method are great, but if you want fast plant growth then you want the EI method.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

that thread does a great explanation of it and even gives examples and templates to be able to start out.

Last edited by genocdex; 06-29-2014 at 08:01 PM. Reason: added link
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think dry fert are much easier when you get use to them. Get yourself a couple of those weekly pill containers that seal. Fill them up based on you dosing regimen. Then dump that days into the aquarium.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Go with EI dosing and look up Zorfox's liquid EI solution. They work well and that's what I've been using for a while now.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Liquids from Seachem and others:
Dose per label directions. High tech = highest recommended dose.

On the Seachem Nitrogen bottle are instructions that say something like:
To raise the Nitrate level by.... X....
add Y amount per gallon of tank volume.
You could use that sort of instruction to hit the targets suggested.

NO3: I don't mind if my low tech tanks get down to 5 ppm, but usually dose to keep it between 10-20 ppm.

Phosphate: couple of ppm

Potassium: I don't test, just dose KNO3 for the N, and a little more K2SO4 for a bit more potassium.

Traces: Per label directions, but if yours contains iron you could use that as a marker. Dose traces until the iron tests in the range you want.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It all depends on your goals. Since you have high light and CO2 injection I assume your are looking for optimal plant growth and health. The only regime in my opinion for that is non-limiting nutrients. The EI method is the only one I know of that targets this.

Providing non-limiting nutrients is the most efficient fertilizing method known (and most likely always will be). It just makes sense. Eliminate nutrient deficiencies and plants will never be limited by them. This allows us to concentrate on the more difficult tasks such as light and CO2. More importantly, it allows us to devote more time to actually develop aquascaping skills which is the ultimate goal for most.

Here is a primer to non-limiting nutrients. It's a good start that explains what this is and how to achieve this goal. If you're not interested in understanding this here is a post that lists amounts to be dosed for most aquarium sizes.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Algae Grower

If you want to use your remaining Seachem products, you can always refer to their dosing chart.

http://www.seachem.com/support/PlantDoseChart.pdf

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode