help! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
help!

i jumped the gun. i have had my tank for just over a month and i have shrimp in my tank already and the ammonia is starting to rise. i had 5 die in the last week and want to know if i use Cycle form walmart if it will be ok for my cherries and fish that are already in there?also do i need to keep using it once the ammonia goes down?i know i made a mistake! now i just need advice to get through it thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

waterchange. if you can use distilled water. that cycle crap wont hurt either.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

will cycle actually do what it says? did a water change yesterday and it didnt go down much so i did another today and it cut it down some more but it is still giving a reading. and thanks for the quick reply.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

you might have to bust like 25% water change everyday untill things start to level off. duno about the cycle stuff, if you're tank's been up for a month it should already be cycled.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I had something similar happen but I think it's more the water coming from the tap here has ammonia/ammonium in it as well. Started getting ammonia readings in the shrimp tank daily... only .25 - .50 but too much anyway. Tested water from my well established 125gallon to make sure it wasn't a faulty kit and that reads 0. Tested the water from the tap and got a .25 reading. I've been using Seachem Prime now and although we still get a .25 reading daily from the tank the shrimp are doing fine. I do add about a 1/4 ml a day of Prime straight to the tank, which may or may not be a good thing, but the shrimp are not doing bad even though the ammonia tests are positive for ammonia. If you can find Prime at any of your fish supply stores I would try it.

From Seachem website:
"Prime™ is the complete and concentrated conditioner for both fresh and salt water. Prime™ removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. Prime™ converts ammonia into a safe, non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank’s biofilter. Prime™ may be used during tank cycling to alleviate ammonia/nitrite toxicity. Prime™ detoxifies nitrite and nitrate, allowing the biofilter to more efficiently remove them. It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels.Prime™ also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat. Prime™ is non-acidic and will not impact pH. Prime™ will not overactivate skimmers. Use at start-up and whenever adding or replacing water"

HTH
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i looked up an old friend and he is going to give me some sponge juice from his filters. will this colonize right away and possibly stop the ammonia from rising further?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

bacteria bed takes time. so it wont be a quick fix. in the mean time you should do water changes
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thank you!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode