Hydroponic fertilizers? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hydroponic fertilizers?

I've heard of people using osmocote in a planted tank, but what about hydroponic all-in-one fertilizers? Here's a link.

http://eastwesthydro.com/plant-nutri...w-quart-733130
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
That particular brand uses ammonia nitrate which could cause problems. It's also missing some trace elements. Everything else listed are dry fertilizers currently being used.

The dry fertilizers used in planted tanks are used for hydroponics. Plantex, a popular trace mix, is made for hydroponics. You would be better off buying the dry fertilizers and making your own. It's not difficult at all. Here is a link that lists how to mix them.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Hydroponic fertilizers?

What about these dry fertilizers; http://generalhydroponics.com/site/i...s/maxi_series/ ?

I bought some of them last year for my aeroponics system which I have now converted to an aquaponics system and was wondering if I could use those in the aquaponics system with my fish.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 01:59 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
What about these dry fertilizers; http://generalhydroponics.com/site/i...s/maxi_series/ ?
Hard to say whether those fertilizers are suitable or not without a compositional breakdown.

More than likely, the macronutrients will be providing nitrates in an unsuitable manner (e.g. ammonium nitrate, urea, etc) for aquarium use.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Last edited by lauraleellbp; 06-27-2014 at 05:50 PM. Reason: :D
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Hard to say whether those fertilizers are suitable or not without a compositional breakdown.

More than likely, the macronutrients will be providing nitrates in an unsuitable manner (e.g. ammonium nitrate, urea, etc) for aquarium use.
Here is the analysis for that fertilizer.

As Darkblade said, it's ammonical nitrogen. I'm not a big fan of this. In fact, they use Ammonium Molybdate for a nitrogen source. I've never seen that used. The amount of Molybdenum would be HUGE. Molybdenum is a trace element. I have no idea what the impact on fish or aquatic plants this would have.

They don't list a full analysis as well. There is no copper, zinc or boron listed despite additions that provide them. Copper is more abundant than iron which would be a major issue for aquatic use. Another thing is the amount of calcium and magnesium. It is quite high.

I would certainly pass on this one for aquatic use.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode