Going later this week to pick up plants, next week as well. I plan on buying :

Wisteria
Java fern
Amazon swors
Anubias
Java Moss
Hornwort
Maybe Cabomba

Any other low to mid light big bushy plants you suggest? Tank is 55g with a 130 Watt 10k Coralife Compact Flourescent Light. No Co2 unless I use Excel.

Would it be best to get the Flourish 3 packs at Dr foster and Smith? Along with root tabs? How quickly will I go through those bottles? I have to order everything as the nearest place that carries stuff is usually 2 hours or so away.

I just need a basic list of what I need to walk into petsmart and buy so that I can have a great start hopefully. Thank you guys!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Finnex 36" Planted Plus 24/7 SE for sale!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
All plants need micro and macro fertilizers to grow. The micro's they use in small amounts, the macro's they use in larger amounts. Root tabs are good to have as well, especially if you have amazon sword's as they are heavy root feeders. As far as buying fert's I suggest buying dry ferts. The liquid fert's are mostly over priced water. Its much cheaper to buy dry ferts, there are some guys on here that sell them, there are also some good online websites as well. Micro's look for plantex b or miller's microplex and macro's (NPK) look for KNO3 (which provides nitrogen and potassium) and KH2PO4 (which provides phosphorus and potassium). Since your not doing co2 injections you may not need all of that a simple water change can provide micro's and fish poop and food can provide NO3 and PO4, though they usually lack potassium. Lost yet? Petsmart and the other big chains don't carry most of what we use. They do carry some liquid micro's, liquid co2 and root tabs, but I have yet to see macro's there... Once you put plants in, it will be several weeks before your plants show the need for fertilizer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode