dry fert question - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 47
dry fert question

I need a little help with dry fert. I am getting back into aquariums and I want to try my hand with live plants this time around.

Since this is my first live planted aqiarum I am sticking with low/medium tech. Here are my specs below and FYI none of this is offically setup yet and all the new equipment is still in boxes. I am trying to get everything I need before I fill it and go though a cycle.

Tank - Old tank from back in college 37G Tall
Lighting - Finnex Fugeray Planted + (I think the par is 30 @18" from substrate and Tank is 21" tall)
substrate - eco complete
C02 - Yes pressureized with 24oz paintball tank and aquatech regulator. I might try and upgrade to a T1 tank in the furture.

Ok guestion time. Should I buy indivutal fert packs from AF or is better just to buy the MacroMicro Mix for 12 bucks and just dose what Yet another Nutrient Calculator recommand once a week. Here are the results from the clac.

Quote:
To reach your target of 10 ppm NO3 you will need to add 9.214 g AF's MacroMicro Mix to your 37.0 US gal aquarium to yield
Element ppm/degree
Cu 0.01
Fe 0.88
K 15.33
Mg 1.76
Mn 0.25
Mo 0.0067
N 2.26
NO3 10.00
S 5.77
Zn 0.05

This is EI scaled for once a week dosing under low light. The EI ranges below are over time for most tanks.
zalinth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
roadmaster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Missouri united states
Posts: 5,576
I bought the Macro-micro mix from aquarium fertilizer .com but it does not contain phosphate so I also purchased some KH2PO4 (phosphate).
That way all macro and micro nutrient's are taken care of.
roadmaster is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I bought the Macro-micro mix from aquarium fertilizer .com but it does not contain phosphate so I also purchased some KH2PO4 (phosphate).
That way all macro and micro nutrient's are taken care of.
Thanks for the reply. I will add KH2PO4 to my shopping list. So now the new dosing will be 9.2G of AF's MacroMicro Mix + 256 mg K2HPO4 once a week. Is it still recommend to do 50% water changes once a week with low light EI dosing?
zalinth is offline  
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 12:17 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: india
Posts: 6
I'm dosing with EI method
3x Macros {Weekly}
3x Micros {Weekly}
Please tell me at what time I should dose 'Macros' &
what time I should dose 'Micros'

I Turn-on the Lights at 3:00p.m. & Turn-off at 11:00p.m.
Please reply I'm waiting...

Last edited by bhush; 06-26-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling correction
bhush is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 02:56 PM
Are these real?
 
Wasserpest's Avatar
 
PTrader: (192/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 15,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalinth View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will add KH2PO4 to my shopping list. So now the new dosing will be 9.2G of AF's MacroMicro Mix + 256 mg K2HPO4 once a week. Is it still recommend to do 50% water changes once a week with low light EI dosing?
Keep in mind that EI (excess) dosing is meant for high light tanks with plenty of CO2. Since you dose in excess, the 50% weekly water change brings the parameters back into normal. For low light, you need to adjust the concentrations down, since the plants don't utilize as much.

In other words, if you don't want to do the weekly WC, you don't want to dose EI quantities. In that case, I would recommend to get a basic liquid N and P test kit and monitor the levels over some time until you get a handle on how much to dose based on your specific situation - light, plant uptake, source water, and so forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhush View Post
I'm dosing with EI method
3x Macros {Weekly}
3x Micros {Weekly}
Please tell me at what time I should dose 'Macros' &
what time I should dose 'Micros'

I Turn-on the Lights at 3:00p.m. & Turn-off at 11:00p.m.
Please reply I'm waiting...
It does not matter what time of the day you dose. Since EI relies on excess dosing and water changes, the levels never go down to zero, nutrients are always available to plants, thus no difference if you dose at 11 am or pm.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wasserpest is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Keep in mind that EI (excess) dosing is meant for high light tanks with plenty of CO2. Since you dose in excess, the 50% weekly water change brings the parameters back into normal. For low light, you need to adjust the concentrations down, since the plants don't utilize as much.

In other words, if you don't want to do the weekly WC, you don't want to dose EI quantities. In that case, I would recommend to get a basic liquid N and P test kit and monitor the levels over some time until you get a handle on how much to dose based on your specific situation - light, plant uptake, source water, and so forth.
Oh I don't mind doing WC. I just wasn't sure how much I should take out since I am only going to be dosing once a week. At least that's what Yet Another Nutrient Calc recommend was once a week dosing.
zalinth is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
plantbrain's Avatar
 
PTrader: (267/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The swamp
Posts: 13,609
Likely can do about 1/2 EI and be fine, but full EI is okay also.

Main issue will be the CO2.

That's the root of most problems, ferts are easy and can be over a wide range.

Water changes, say 50%, should be done 2x a week for a NEW tank, for maybe 1-2 months, then back off to 1x a week or thereabouts.




Regards,
Tom Barr
plantbrain is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome