does osmocote have to be in the substrate? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
does osmocote have to be in the substrate?

So i have some osmocote and have gel caps but i realized that the little ball things don't dissolve completely and stay inside the substrate. So i recently found tea bags that are used for making your own tea blends so i just slipped some of the osmocote pellets into the sachets and put it into the HOB filter i hope that the nutrients just dissolve into the water. But is this ok? i heard someone say before that the type of ammonia from the osmocote isn't good in the water column. Anyone know about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 06:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Isn't the point get the nutrients to the roots, not water column.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I have also heard that they can add ammonia to the water. I don't have any at the moment to check the bottle.

However, even if that is not so problematic, I still don't really understand the concept. There are plenty of other was to dose the water column while having a much better idea of what is actually in the water. With that method, you don't have a very good idea. The nice thing is you don't dose everyday, but I have read that Osmocote releases nutrients much more quickly when not under soil, both on gardening forums and here. I don't know that this is true or not but it may.

Anyway, I would just dose the water column with something you can more easily understand but if it works and nothing bad happens, it works.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
As was already stated, most will release ammonia into your water column. The other problem is that by just letting them dissolve into your water you really don't know just how much fertilizer is being dosed. Best to dose the water column with your own ferts and use the osmocote for root tabs. If the little pellets come up just push them back into the substrate. They don't dissolve quickly in the substrate because they are coated for slow release.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
They are specifically put into gel caps so they can be pushed into the soil. Adding them to the water column is about the worst thing you could do. Don't try to reinvent the wheel my friend.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
oh really? its "the worst thing you could do"? i wasn't aware of this. can you explain why it would be THE worst thing to do?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 03:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've done it, no problems. I have a tank with just sand. I know that osmocote has more macronutrients than most people want in the water column, but honestly I think it's fine. Most plants will grow fine.

Also, remember that osmocote is designed to be slow-release on land, not underwater. I find that an osmocote tab only lasts a week or two until it starts to fizzle out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Algae Grower

Are the grains of osmocote supposed to physically dissolve eventually in water or do they just lose all their ferts? I have some grains that have been sitting on the surface for 6+ months and they are the same size as they were when they were added
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 02:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The outer shell does not dissolve.
It is porous. Fertilizers leak out when it is in contact with water.
In the garden, in the alternating wet and dry, the fertilizer leaks out slowly.
In the substrate of an aquarium, with slow or almost no water movement, again, the fertilizer leaks out slowly.
In the water flow (in the filter, or loose in the tank) the constant water movement makes the fertilizers leak out fast.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode