diy co2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
diy co2

Hello!

I've got well water in my 5 gal hex, and it's hard as a rock. PH is usually 7.6 or higher. I've been running yeast/sugar co2 to intake of filter, and allowing it to run over night. did a ph test again last night, and ph was down in low 6's. too much co2 in the water? i KNOW none of the solution leaked in. i was starting to worry if the co2 was even making it into the water, but due to the ph swing, some is, right? advice welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

also, i'm a newbie and need someone to clear something up for me...how do you check the amount of co2 in your water? i've got the cart before the horse on this one...i should have known how to do that before i started adding...too eager i guess...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

c02 shouldnt affect it that much, what kind of substrate are you using? If you are using multiple 2L bottles then you may have excess but how are the fish doing? Personally as long as the fish are fine then I dont think you can have 2 much. 7.6 isnt too bad either, in ontario under the great limestone sheild we are cursed with 8.1 + and i havent have that that much problem with plants. However, hatching eggs however is somewhat more difficult unless you have third or fourth generations accustomed to it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

i'm using gravel over vermiculite, dosing 2x weekly w/ flourish plant supplement. co2 is from 2 liter bottle, getting about 1 bubble/second. fish seem fine...not gasping at surface or anything like that. it just seemed odd that it would be so drastically different so quickly. also, i did another test this morning and it was back to normal (i loosened the soda lid to allow the co2 to escape into the air). i'll check it again when i get home.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 12:39 AM

You need a drop checker to keep track of co2 levels...especially with diy co2. Check on ebay, $10 or less. You use distilled water with 4KH as the indicator solution (you can make it yourself with baking soda and a KH test kit). What happens is that the co2 diffuses up into the air pocket in the drop checker, then down into the indicator solution (which has pH indicator in it)....as the co2 level rises, the indicator solution drops in pH and therefore the color changes. The goal is to keep it at a green state and then you know co2 levels are good. Yellow is too much, blue is too low. Fluctuating levels will do more harm to your plants than good. A pH drop of about 1.0 - 1.2 from original tank pH is usually about right, and should happen within an hour or two if co2 is being produced at adequate levels. The trick is, keeping it there.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode