What's going on with these plants? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What's going on with these plants?

I've got a problem with my plants and haven't been able to figure it out. 25 gallon tank with 65 watts t5ho lighting. I dose csm+b weekly to maintain iron at .2ppm. Kno3 is dosed to maintain nitrates at 20-30ppm. Phosphates are kept between .5 and 1ppm. Co2 is kept at 30ppm. I use equilibrium for calcium and magnesium as well as potassium. K2so4 has been added in the past thinking that my problem was a potassium deficiency. As far as I can tell none of my nutrients are limiting. Here are some photos of the problem. As you see the leaves are kinda thin with a redish discoloration on the amazon sword. The carambosa leaves are twisted and some of th anubia leaves look like they sword. Any ideas guys. Too much light, too little or too long? Lights are on for 11 hours a day. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140621_123802.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	335970  

Name:	20140621_123714.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	335978  

Name:	20140621_123651.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	335986  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You have compensated for the height by using higher light but I have a 10g tank/w 2x T5 bulbs slightly elivated to give still 12" above the sub and I only use it for 7.5 hrs a day on this tank.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So you're thinking that my photoperiod is too long? If so then how long should I run the lights for? 6 hours? Thanks for the help.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
My first thought was a CO2 problem. You might try reducing the photoperiod to 9 hours and/or increasing the CO2 bubble rate. Also ensure flow is adequate throughout the water column.

You seem to be targeting a minimum amount of iron and phosphates. The levels listed should be non-limiting IF they are in fact constant. Just to be sure there are no nutrient calculation errors, listing exactly what and how you dose would help as well as water change amount and frequency. Also, what are your tap and tank water parameters?

Degas a tank sample by letting it sit over night or aerating it. Then test the PH and KH. Compare that to a fresh tank sample taken a few hours after lights on. Use a CO2 KH chart or calculator to estimate CO2 levels. I say this because usually when people say they have 30ppm they are basing that on a lime green drop checker. They are notoriously inaccurate.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Flow is adequate, 500gph from circulation pump plus 300 gph from a canister filter. Plants sway back and forth but are not being blown around. Degassed tap is pH 7.8 and my co2 control is set to 6.8. Dkh of tank is 6 and drop checker is lime greenish to yellow. If I set my contoller to 6.7 then the fish start acting funny. According to the chart that puts me at 29ppm. I just set my timer for 7 hours of light per day. It's almost like the plants are getting to much light and are compensating by putting out new growth that's pale. Yesterday I was gonna add another dual t5ho fixture but thought better of it thinking that my photoperiod was to long. I dose with fleets twice weekly for phosphate kno3 twice weekly csm+b twice weekly. 50% water change weekly adding equilibrium because we have softwater. Dgh is kept at 6. I'll give the shorter photoperiod a try and see what happens in a week. Thanks guys. Keep the thoughts coming if you think there is something else to try.

Last edited by JDenyer232; 06-22-2014 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added information

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode