Are my Ca and Mg levels ideal for heavily planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Are my Ca and Mg levels ideal for heavily planted tank?

Hello,

I'm just curious in regards to Calcium and Magnesium levels in a planted tank.

I dose using EI but I rely on Ca and Mg to be delivered by my tap water.
The levels of each from tap water are:

28.6mg/L of Calcium (28.6ppm)
3.88mg/L of Magnesium (3.88ppm)

Do I need to increase these values for Ca/Mg or leave them?

Thanks
Dan

Dan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

80L Opti White heavily planted open-top tank: JBL CristalProfi 1501e containing a range of filter media; EI dosing; pressurised CO2 with Lily Pipes and Surface Skimmer; Finnex Planted+ LED Light. Neons, Embers, Pygmy Corys, Amano's and Oto's ..and I'm in love with it.

If I have helped you or require further information / advice, then please do not hesitate to drop me a message!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (15/100%)
Leave them. You have enough of both and it's unlikely you'll ever run out unless you never do water changes.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would dose enough GH booster at water change to raise GH 1-2 degrees. At the very least dose magnesium which is very low in your tap. Ideally, you want to keep a GH of around 3 dGH which is roughly 50ppm. To convert ppm to GH divide by 17.86, i.e.

22.6 / 17.86 = 1.3GH
3.88 / 17.86 = 0.22GH

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I take it Seachem Equilibirum is a good all-round product to use to boost GH and therefore Mg and Ca conc?

Dan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

80L Opti White heavily planted open-top tank: JBL CristalProfi 1501e containing a range of filter media; EI dosing; pressurised CO2 with Lily Pipes and Surface Skimmer; Finnex Planted+ LED Light. Neons, Embers, Pygmy Corys, Amano's and Oto's ..and I'm in love with it.

If I have helped you or require further information / advice, then please do not hesitate to drop me a message!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 08:30 PM
Banned

Those levels aren't that low. My tap is lower on both and plants do fine with it.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyul View Post
I take it Seachem Equilibirum is a good all-round product to use to boost GH and therefore Mg and Ca conc?
Yup. It's a good product. It also has iron, Manganese and potassium. A little high on potassium for my taste but too much certainly won't hurt anything so it's not an issue.

You can always dose epsom salt if you don't have GH booster instead since your calcium is fine IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Those levels aren't that low. My tap is lower on both and plants do fine with it.
Your plants may do fine in your tank. However, conditions vary and the magnesium is fairly low. Why risk problems when there is a very easy fix.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2014, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Your plants may do fine in your tank. However, conditions vary and the magnesium is fairly low. Why risk problems when there is a very easy fix.
Like a water change? Plants don't use that much Mg. Why spend money on a product that isn't necessary? 3ppm isn't very low.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

How did you test Ca/Mg with such accuracy, or is it from a municipal water report?

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
-Carl Sagan
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcielo lawrencia View Post
Like a water change? Plants don't use that much Mg. Why spend money on a product that isn't necessary? 3ppm isn't very low.

Iron is to hemoglobin as is magnesium to chlorophyll.
(Barr report 2005).
I have fairly hard water at 12dgh but water report does not specify nor do test results distinguish between calcium and or Mag.
I add about 1/4 tsp of Epsom salt after each weekly water change just to bring me comfort.
My tanks are low tech NonCO2.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post
How did you test Ca/Mg with such accuracy, or is it from a municipal water report?
A water report for my local water supply was provided to me indicating the ppm for Calcium and Magnesium

Dan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Adding more GH or Mg will not hurt, but it may not help either.

Tap water tends to be pretty stable with GH, after rains, if you rely on rainwater, surface waters, the levels will drop in the winter/spring, climb back up in the summer Fall if you get a lot of water in the winter/spring etc.

Tap will vary. Generally, plant might only ever need 1-2 ppm a week of either nutrient.

Which is not much.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I suppose there's only one way to find out!

I have ordered a typical 'GH booster' as a dry powder (much cheaper than buying pre-made solutions) and I'll give it a go. If there's a visual and obvious positive/negative effect then I will adjust accordingly.

I guess it's all about trial and error - like with everything really.

Dan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode