Fert regime for a 47gal tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Fert regime for a 47gal tank?

So, I'm a newbie to planted tanks wanting help with my ferts. I have access to all the ferts on this site: www.Aquaessentials.co.uk. My tank has 165Watts of light, heavily planted, about 60" of fish and inverts, DIY CO2, and Tropica plant nutrition underneath a layer of blac sand as a substrate. Included in the fish etc. are an SAE, MTS snails and a BN. Can you guys please, please help me with the cheapest and easiest dosing regime for my tank? I've been able to register all the new Planted tank info from upto here - where I am just confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
2 things, join UKSAPS first, then buy a CO2 gas tank system for this tank. You have defined your goals for the most part it seems, fairly high light so CO2 will be the weakest link, generally it is for most folks, not the nutrient dosing which tends to be rather easy and far more controllable.

You will get local help, local resources for ferts, local help for CO2 gas systems etc and other local nuances. Best bet. You will learn more and have far fewer mistakes in a local group.

Not to mention save a lot of money.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
2 things, join UKSAPS first, then buy a CO2 gas tank system for this tank. You have defined your goals for the most part it seems, fairly high light so CO2 will be the weakest link, generally it is for most folks, not the nutrient dosing which tends to be rather easy and far more controllable.

You will get local help, local resources for ferts, local help for CO2 gas systems etc and other local nuances. Best bet. You will learn more and have far fewer mistakes in a local group.

Not to mention save a lot of money.

Regards,
Tom Barr
Well, I would have gone non-DIY CO2 - IF I had more electrics! I only have 4 plugs to use on this tank - 2 used by lighting, 1 used by filter and 1 used by heater. Obviously all essential. So, I don't think I could manage to sneak in a CO2 gas system. Yes I hate it to...

Where can I join this UKSAPS then? Is it on the internet? My Google search revealed some sort of free website hosting thing? I might not be able to join anyway since I'm only a kid. I'm allowed on aquatics forums but I don't know about non-net things.

I might be (Probably will be) lowering the light to 140W soon. I just really need some help on a fert dosing scheme. Does Flourish excel contain everything I need (Macro AND Micronutrients)?

And, slightly off topic - do you know of any small (30cm high) green plants? I could use one in my scape right now.

Thanks so much!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Sorry, in my rush to type:

http://ukaps.org/forum/index.php?sid...7ceb58b65ecffd

BTW, you do not need another electrical outlet, you can run the CO2 without a solenoid and bubble to gas into a diffuser disc or a filter etc.
It's a gas tank under pressure No electric required.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Here is the link to UKSAPS.

http://www.ukaps.org/

There is no reason you can't add an additional plug strip if you need more outlets.
Flourish Excel contains neither macro nor micro nutrients it is a source of organic carbon that can be used as a substitute for CO2 in low light tanks. Once you reach and exceed 2 wpg you would want to use CO2 not Excel.
Read through the Dosing Regimes sticky in the Water Parameters forum.

hope that helps....
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Tom beat me to the punch on a link for UKAPS... have to learn to type faster!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_bu View Post
Here is the link to UKSAPS.

There is no reason you can't add an additional plug strip if you need more outlets.
Flourish Excel contains neither macro nor micro nutrients it is a source of organic carbon that can be used as a substitute for CO2 in low light tanks. Once you reach and exceed 2 wpg you would want to use CO2 not Excel.
Read through the Dosing Regimes sticky in the Water Parameters forum.
Ah.. I was under the impression Excel was a fert... So, can you help me with which ferts to dose? I'm really confused... Like, in the dry ferts section of my online store I'm using, theres several kinds of every nutrient it seems?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 12:18 AM

There is a brief rundown of fert usage and a dosage calculator on my website: www.beginneraquarist.petfish.net click on fertilization at the top. You need nitrate, phosphate, potassium, and iron and traces.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Is there a way to do it with using he minimal ferts possible - instead of throwing away all the old ones at the end of a week? I'm on a slight budget you see - and the last thing I want to be doing is wasting ferts!

I'm slightly confused, as on the dry fewts page of the comapny I'm ordering from has really wierd names that none of you seem to mention... I mean http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/inde...roducts_id=522. Is that supposed to be Nitrate, or a totally different nutrient? Or even Potassium and Nitrate? And *gulp* the trace elements sold out... :-P Can I without them until I can get a 1000g bag?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode