Dry dose scoop or mix with water? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Dry dose scoop or mix with water?

I just bought some dry ferts and plan to start EI dosing and I notice some people just add the dry ferts directly into the tank and others mix it with water first. My question is is there any difference or added benefits of either method?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
My fish eat anything that hits the water and they really don't like ferts from the way they react. For that reason, I mix it with a bit of water first. They still suck in tiny bits that are not dissolved but not as much?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
My fish eat anything that hits the water and they really don't like ferts from the way they react. For that reason, I mix it with a bit of water first. They still suck in tiny bits that are not dissolved but not as much?
Good point I didn't think of that. I imagine there's nothing G special I need to do like Mixing with a measured amount of water before dosing?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smaller tanks are harder to get close to the right dose when you are scooping out dry products. Larger tanks, the error is not so significant.
For me, it is faster to dose all the tanks with liquid. So many ml per gallon of tank volume. Big tanks, little tanks... dose them all with one tool.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 06:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
And once you mix your ferts in this water, do you then store it in a refrigerator between dosings ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 07:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
And once you mix your ferts in this water, do you then store it in a refrigerator between dosings ?
yep. bottle in the fridge with a big DO NOT DRINK label on it.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just mix with a bit of water first and let it dissolve then pour it in. Its easier to spread around this way

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I just dry dose. I used to make a solution, no idea why now that I dry dose. So much easier. Scoop and drop, done. Sure, the fish pick at it, but they realize quick it's not food and let it go. It's not harmful.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I do not refrigerate mine.
I mix macros with Excel (glut) figured out so a daily dose of fertilizer is also the lower dose of Excel per the label.
I mix micros in a different bottle, also with Excel.
Then I top off the bottle with water until it is diluted to the ratio I want.

So the tanks get a daily low dose of Excel when they get either macros or micros.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I dry dose now, since I don't use an autodoser anymore. My fish have always tried to eat it but nothing has happened.

To me, the big advantage of mixing is accuracy. The smallest teaspoon with a measurement I have found is 1/8. I do have the "pinch"/"dash"/etc spoons that I have filled up the 1/8 to approximate what it is. Even if I was spot on, 1/16 will always be a bit off, much less 1/32. Not that it has to be spot on. The second advantage is not dosing each fert individually, mix for the time period that works and only dose two solutions, rather than individually.

I actually will like mix again, especially if I don't go back to my autodoser (which is mixed anyway). I use a fountain pump type which isn't all that accurate, takes up space, and will get out of "calibration" over time.

-Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Algae Grower

I bought a cheap set of digital scales and measure out doses into little zip lock bags. I do several weeks at one time and when I want to dose i put the dos3e into a glass jar of water, put the lid on and shake for 30 sec and then dose.

Faux Fashion Statement
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
I have progressed with it as I have acquired more and more aquariums. I used to measure out the dose, then dry dose each tank every day. Then I got behind in doing that, so I would pre-measure the doses then mix each day and dose. That ended up taking more time so I kicked that method to the curb. So I started making little bits of liquid fertilizer at a time, a single dose in a 40ml jar, this worked well, did it for almost a year but then got tired of making the little jars. Thankfully Zorfox's solution recipes work really well! I mixed up a batch of solution and bought a big 60 cc syringe to help measure out my dose for each tank and couldn't be happier. Just remember if you are using a diy liquid you either need to keep it in the fridge or add some excel or white vinegar to it to help prevent any mold or bacteria.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Dribbly bibbly liquids dribbling all over. No, I just dry dose.
Accuracy? Way over ratted, you do not need it and it's never made or broken any tank I've ever had, small or large.

Maybe you do not mind stuff in frig, I do. Excel can be added to the solution to avoid that frig also. The traces dissolve pretty slow, so I mix them with hot water. Old habit really.

Either way works well.

I have sumps and prefilters at home, so I can just dump the ferts in there, but it does not matter.Main thing is just doing it somewhat consistently.

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I fully understand the human need to be exact in our measurements but then I get down to being real. Is it really logical to work for great accuracy when the measurement is an estimate? To get down to total precision on fert use, we would also need to get the same precision on feeding fish, CO2 injected and diffusion, plant growth and even the amount of ambient room lighting. Somewhere along the line the whole thing gets down to a study in human behavior rather than how the plants react.
Dose it the way that feels right for you and be done.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Dribbly bibbly liquids dribbling all over. No, I just dry dose.
Accuracy? Way over ratted, you do not need it and it's never made or broken any tank I've ever had, small or large.

Maybe you do not mind stuff in frig, I do. Excel can be added to the solution to avoid that frig also. The traces dissolve pretty slow, so I mix them with hot water. Old habit really.

Either way works well.

I have sumps and prefilters at home, so I can just dump the ferts in there, but it does not matter.Main thing is just doing it somewhat consistently.
Well, I don't disagree but it doesn't hurt to mix them nor does it hurt to be accurate. Once you get into the sub 5 gallon range, it's also going to be hard to find that 1/64 or smaller tsp as well, I just dosed more less often on the one high tech nano I had but it's much harder to be consistent when you do things less often, I had to put reminders in my phone.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode