New Pressure CO2 Installation - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Pressure CO2 Installation

I recently added pressurized CO2 to my heavily planted and heavily populated 90g. I have started it out very slowly, (I believe,) at 2.5 bubbles/sec.

The PH before adding the CO2 was 7.1 and is now sitting at 6.9 and holding, according to the PH controller. The oxygen level is 10 mg/L (ppm), the same as before the CO2. The fish are fine and I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the plants responded to the extra CO2.

I am new at pressure CO2, and am looking for some guidelines on how frequently and how far to increase the bubble count. I am running the regulator at 30 lb. I am looking for a CO2 level that will provide the most lush plant growth without stressing the fish at all.

.... Phil

Last edited by Phil G; 06-16-2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: text change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 01:38 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
In general, a pH drop of about 1 unit will result in ~30 ppm of CO2.

You can set your pH controller to slowly decrease the pH (over the course of say 1 week) via CO2 injection. During this time, watch your fish for any signs of stress and dial back the CO2 if required.

As an aside, oxygen levels will not be affected by CO2 injection. On another note, how are you measuring oxygen levels?

Finally, while bubble rate is quite a subjective measure and differs from person to person, 2.5 bubbles/second for a 90 gallon aquarium is likely too low to provide sufficient CO2 to your plants.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the information. That is what I needed to know. I measure the oxygen level using a Salifert Oxygen test set.

My intention was to lower the PH slowly to 6.8. The plants have taken on an attractive dark green with just this small amt. of CO2. I am curious to see if it increases the growth rate significantly at a rate of 6.8.

Last edited by Phil G; 06-17-2014 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Added text.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What lighting do you have on that tank? How much CO2 is optimum for the plants depends on how intense your lighting is. The more light, the more CO2 the plants need to grow in good health.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It is hard for me to know the light level. If I were to guess, I would say a little above medium. It is an old setup with a combinations of lights. There are two T5, two T5 HO, and a LED strip.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If there is no problem now, how fast to go is a question of how anxious you get? I think of CO2 stress on fish much as going to high altitude is for us. Longer time to get acclimated makes it less stress for us so I might imagine the same for fish. If you are seeing good results and the fish are the priority, I might adjust more on a weekly schedule. My fish tend to just act a little "tired" or less interested when I push the CO2. If I see them tending to hang near the bottom, I let it stay for a time and then can sometimes move higher the next week. If they go to the top, I back off quick and do a water change!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode