Tweaking PPS Pro for high nitrates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tweaking PPS Pro for high nitrates

I'm switching over from flourish to pps-pro and I have 3 questions.

1. My tank has high bioload and nitrates are 20+ ppm without dosing. If I want to exclude KNO3 from PPS-Pro, should I increase K2SO4 by 100% (double it) or by 50%?

2. Will there be any problems with dosing so much SO4?

3. Can I double the concentration of the recommended solution and dose half as much?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RisingSun; 06-16-2014 at 12:37 AM. Reason: more questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSun View Post
I'm switching over from flourish to pps-pro and I have 3 questions.

1. My tank has high bioload and nitrates are 20+ ppm without dosing. If I want to exclude KNO3 from PPS-Pro, should I increase K2SO4 by 100% (double it) or by 50%?
If you are removing KNO3, then you will only need half as much K2SO4 to make up for the potassium that is lost.

Quote:
2. Will there be any problems with dosing so much SO4?
No.

Quote:
3. Can I double the concentration of the recommended solution and dose half as much?
Yes.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Can I double the concentration of the recommended solution and dose half as much?
You can if that much fertilizer will dissolve in the amount of water you want to use.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
You can if that much fertilizer will dissolve in the amount of water you want to use.
Thanks. I'm going to take DarkBlade's word for it and assume it does.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Correct Diana.

RisingSun, you can only add so much of a substance before the aqueous solution becomes saturated and you will not be able to dissolve any more (no matter how much you shake the bottle).

Why do you want to double the concentration?

My tank journal:

This is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end, but it is the end of the beginning. Winston Churchill
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab_Man View Post
Correct Diana.

RisingSun, you can only add so much of a substance before the aqueous solution becomes saturated and you will not be able to dissolve any more (no matter how much you shake the bottle).

Why do you want to double the concentration?
Mainly for convenience - the solution lasts longer and I do less squirts per dosing. If It's not going to dissolve I'm fine with doing the recommended concentration.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
K2SO4 is the least soluble of the typical macro fertilizers and Plantex for the micro mix. So those two will dictate how concentrated your solution can be.

The theoretical limit to K2SO4 is 60 grams (about 9 teaspoons) in 500ml at 20C.
The theoretical limit to Plantex is 85 grams (about 19 teaspoons) in 500ml at 20C.

To make life easier just use this calculator. It will alert you when the concentration is to concentrated. Look for the warning in red.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
K2SO4 is the least soluble of the typical macro fertilizers and Plantex for the micro mix. So those two will dictate how concentrated your solution can be.

The theoretical limit to K2SO4 is 60 grams (about 9 teaspoons) in 500ml at 20C.
The theoretical limit to Plantex is 85 grams (about 19 teaspoons) in 500ml at 20C.

To make life easier just use this calculator. It will alert you when the concentration is to concentrated. Look for the warning in red.
Thanks for this. It looks like if I want to use K2SO4 to compensate for KNO3, I actually have to DECREASE the concentration and dose 7.5 ml.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 01:41 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Thanks for this. It looks like if I want to use K2SO4 to compensate for KNO3, I actually have to DECREASE the concentration and dose 7.5 ml.
Yes, as mentioned, K2SO4 has double the potassium as KNO3 (on a mole basis, not mass).

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Yes, as mentioned, K2SO4 has double the potassium as KNO3 (on a mole basis, not mass).
I see, thanks.

It also seems like the rota.la site tells me to add slightly more K2SO4 than the spreadsheet from the PPS website. I'm guessing the PPS spreadsheet reduces grams of K2SO4 so that it can fully dissolve.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
I see, thanks.

It also seems like the rota.la site tells me to add slightly more K2SO4 than the spreadsheet from the PPS website. I'm guessing the PPS spreadsheet reduces grams of K2SO4 so that it can fully dissolve.
I'm not sure about the spreadsheet. The rota.la site uses molar masses for calculations. So those numbers are as close as possible.

Example,
Molar mass percentages for KNO3 are,

K 38.6717 %
N 13.8539 %
O 47.4745 %

The entry for KNO3 in the constants file for rota.la is,

NO3 0.6133
N 0.138539
K 0.3867

(NO3 is a calculated value based on nitrogen content)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode