Ways of increasing ph? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ways of increasing ph?

While testing, I noticed that my ph was low. I had normally done weekly 25% water changes, but stopped to treat BBA. Could this be what caused this? Should I start back up? I will have CO2 set-up soon (in middle of that now). Anything else to help with ph? I have seen buffers at the lfs, but no nothing about them - is that a route?

I also used to run an air stone at night, but have stopped that too. Should I return to using it?

210 g - Empty right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Don't use any ph buffers. They do more harm than good.

How low was it? Is there a reason you are trying to keep it at a specific level (and what level is that)?

Folks tend to overreact to ph. TDS is often more important than ph.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am guessing 6.5ish. I just a quick strip (will test with real kit tomorrow). I would like to get it where it needs to be before I hook up a ph controller. I am just wondering if the whole stop the water change thing could have caused this, and do I need to go back to that? And the air stone, etc?

What is TDS?

210 g - Empty right now

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
TDS is total dissolved solids.

The test strips are very inaccurate in most cases.

Where does the ph need to be before using the controller? I was under the impression that the controller simply measured the ph change associated with adding co2 (which acidifies water, thus lowering ph), and shuts the co2 off when the ph has dropped to a certain point, indicating the proper amount of dissolved co2 in the water. Don't fret about the ph changes due to the addition of co2. These don't really affect fauna. Changes in the TDS, which has nothing to do with co2, are really what affect fish.

Fighting with your ph is a pain and a losing battle in most cases. There are only a few ways that ph could have been lowered (peat, some driftwood, ro water, buffers, co2). Water changes are generally a good thing, as they help keep the water clean. Read this article to get a better understanding of water chemistry in our aquariums. http://www.drhelm.com/aquarium/chemistry.html

Running an airstone has its advantages as well. I don't use them, but lots of folks do, with no ill effect. As long as you don't run it when co2 is running, you'll be fine. If you did run it along with co2, you'd simply degas the co2 you are adding.

Mike

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:47 PM

Why would you stop doing water changes to treat bba? That seems contradictory to me, usually the first line of defense when algae comes along is to increase water changes.

Stopping water changes can cause the pH to drop due to nitric acid being formed as a byproduct of fish waste, especially if you have low KH. With no water changes, it's not being removed. pH drop in and of itself is not an issue, pH is best used as an indicator of some other possible problem. In this case, it could be too much waste built up in the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode