I can't establish my PH!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
I can't establish my PH!!!

I have a 60g tank and I'm having problems establishing my PH. I set the PH controller at 6.5 (For my tetras, Rasboras, plecos and angels....Amazon fish) But my levels of Co2 are getting high because as soon as the controller turn off the PH start to go up. Thus, my Co2 system is pumping co2 in to the tank for about 14 hours a day. I don't have any stone or Air pump to oxygenate the tank.

Please help!

My EQ
2- Whisper one 60 and one 40. Also, one Magnum 350.
230 watts light fixture (8 hours a day)
Eco-Complete
If you need more info please ask!

A pic of my tank!
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...g-img_2309.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would take the Whispers off and just run the Magnum. The Magnum should handle your tank without a problem. Most likely the hang on the back filters are out gassing your co2 with all the surface agitation. You want to keep the surface agitation down to a minimum to reduce co2 loss. Point the output of the Magnum away from the surface also, but in a way where you have good circulation. Last but not least do not use a airstone. Airstones are not needed in a planted tank and will just deplete your co2 levels even more.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
FWIW This isn't in response to your pH issue, but actually running an airstone at night can be very beneficial to both the plants and livestock. In the absence of light plants absorb O2 and release CO2- so adding O2 to the water is good for both. In some cases, at night the plants can strip the water of O2 to the point that the fish suffocate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
What is your PH before the lights turn on?

I can see setting the PH controller to come on with the lights, but why would you want it on (controlling the CO2 system) while the lights are off? Maybe I am missing the point here. It doesn't make sense to me to inject CO2 while the lights aren't running.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
What is your PH before the lights turn on?

I can see setting the PH controller to come on with the lights, but why would you want it on (controlling the CO2 system) while the lights are off? Maybe I am missing the point here. It doesn't make sense to me to inject CO2 while the lights aren't running.
That's a good point.

I know many ppl use timer strips that turn on and off the CO2 at the same time as the lights, and turn on an airstone as soon as the lights and CO2 go off... Coralife makes a light strip that works this way.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Coralife makes a light strip that works this way.
I have actually read a lot of bad things about the coralife power strips. I was looking closely at buying one to control different things at different times but I read so many negative things about the strips that I scraped the idea. When they first came out, there were numerous reports of them catching fire.

The outlets are supposedly wired wrong in conjunction with the timer(s) i.e. the daylight outlets come on at night, and the night time outlets come on during the day, etc.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
I would focus on your co2 levels rather than your ph level. When I ran co2 I also had a drop checker with 4kdh solution. When the drop checker showed good co2 levels I took a note of the ph and set the ph controller to that. The drop checker will serve two purposes, one to monitor your co2 levels and two as a back up when your ph probe goes bad. For the most part I wouldn't worry about the ph much, most fish will adapt no problem to the water parameters. I still suggest to take the HOB filters off or at least turn them off for a day and see what happens. From the looks of your profile picture I don't see any reason to mess with anything. As long as your plants are growing and the fish aren't dieing you're good to go. It's best not to over complicate things. Like it's been said allready, you can always use a timer to shut off the co2 at lights out with or without the controller instead of a airstone if you are having problems at night.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
I have actually read a lot of bad things about the coralife power strips. I was looking closely at buying one to control different things at different times but I read so many negative things about the strips that I scraped the idea. When they first came out, there were numerous reports of them catching fire.

The outlets are supposedly wired wrong in conjunction with the timer(s) i.e. the daylight outlets come on at night, and the night time outlets come on during the day, etc.
Once I figured out the programming, mine works fine. Can't say much about the longevity, however, since I just got it. I do like that day/night feature, though.

Seems like if the wiring were switched that would be easy enough to make work... pretty funny! I don't have that problem with mine, so may have been an isolated incident or bad batch from the mfgr.

I'd suspect fires would be most likely from them being used incorrectly; left where water can drip into them or splash on them. I did read through about 4 or 5 threads on here about them before I got mine- didn't really discourage me

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry tool me so long to respond!!!! I was out.

Thanks for the your help guys. Ok here we you go again!

I don't plug my ph controller on the coral timer because if i shut off the controller all night my Ph go up from 6.5 to 6.8 or even 7. I don't want my fish to stress out.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Please excuse me..don't tell me my new coralife controller is going to catch my house on fire.I could not go through that again. Can you guys show me some info on them catching fire recently?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfaller1 View Post
Please excuse me..don't tell me my new coralife controller is going to catch my house on fire.I could not go through that again. Can you guys show me some info on them catching fire recently?

I have 2. One i've had for 3 years. no issues. 2 65 watt lights and CO2 are on day timer, airstone is on night timer, two filters and the heater are on the regular timer. Both tanks are set up this way.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey do I need an Air stone in my tank? Is the O2 would raise the Ph?

And about the coral life no problem until now. (8 Months)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Hate to tell you this, but the CO2 induced pH shift is not what you are after in regards to softening water for soft water species, and the shift up is not stressful since it only constitutes a drop in CO2. There are many aspects of pH and you're assuming CO2 makes soft water, when in fact you need to get your GH in the soft water zone, around 50-100ppm. This is why sites with species profiles need to stop confusing people with pH requirements and stick with hardness requirements like fishbase does. People fail to take organic waste into account which is actually the cause of such low pH you see in the wild, not ideal for small volumes of water.

The only thing bad you can do to your fish with CO2 is an overdose, turning it on and off will not affect them, hardness remains the same. It's a pH shift due to a rapid fluctuation of hardness or TDS that kills fish. And almost all of them will acclimate to any given hardness and thrive as long as it's stable.

Just get your bubble rate set to sustain 30ppm CO2 and ignore pH.

Ok, so I really didn't hate telling you that.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
at night the plants can strip the water of O2 to the point that the fish suffocate.
Has this really ever happened to anyone? Please confirm.

I'm more inclined to believe the theory that night time O2 induces algae.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonzorfox View Post
I would focus on your co2 levels rather than your ph level. When I ran co2 I also had a drop checker with 4kdh solution. When the drop checker showed good co2 levels I took a note of the ph and set the ph controller to that. The drop checker will serve two purposes, one to monitor your co2 levels and two as a back up when your ph probe goes bad.
This is great advice; It's exactly what I've done and had no problems with. I'm a big fan of redundancy - it's part of the reason I run two canisters and two heaters. By having a drop checker and pH monitor/controller, you can ensure adequate CO2 levels all the time, and, like vonzonrfox mentioned, when your pH probe starts to drift out of calibration, you'll still be able to maintain CO2 levels and you'll know your probe needs attention.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode