Water change or no? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water change or no?

I usually do a 10g wc in my 55g breeder weekly. The nitrate and nitrite levels normally rise in between wc, but for the last 2 weeks they've dropped. I guess what I'm asking is, should I continue my routine or let it go until it needs it. I understand that's how I add co2, but things are growing fast despite missing the last 2 wc. I've noticed the nitrate levels stopped climbing when I switched to matrix and stability. Now they are actually going down. I'm heavily stocked with fish and plants. I also have been wrapping my power head intake with poly fill. It blows me away how much organic matter it pulls out of crystal clear water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
I'd stick to your regular water changes. Nitrates aren't the only thing that get taken out or replenished with a water change. I don't see a problem with skipping a water change every now and then, I do it. If your plants are growing well and your fish are happy why change anything?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

10 gallons from a 55 is not a large water change. I would maintain the schedule.

Other things going on in the tank are creating small changes in the water chemistry. Over time these small changes can build up and become so extreme that you might have a big problem correcting them.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm pretty lucky to have such great water conditions and I don't think I'll wait until it gets nasty. I've seen too many posts with crazy problems I don't need. Thanks for the info. I'll be doing a 20% wc tonight. My tomatoes need watering anyway.

Using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by algae.assasin View Post
I usually do a 10g wc in my 55g breeder weekly. The nitrate and nitrite levels normally rise in between wc, but for the last 2 weeks they've dropped. I guess what I'm asking is, should I continue my routine or let it go until it needs it. I understand that's how I add co2, but things are growing fast despite missing the last 2 wc. I've noticed the nitrate levels stopped climbing when I switched to matrix and stability. Now they are actually going down. I'm heavily stocked with fish and plants. I also have been wrapping my power head intake with poly fill. It blows me away how much organic matter it pulls out of crystal clear water.

There are many methods to maintaining a planted tank. So to suggest add this and do that may not be right for you. The one thing I can tell you is that plants need nutrients. The idea years ago was to keep nitrates as low as possible for the fish. That's the opposite for the plants we keep. Plants need the "bad stuff" (yes I am being sarcastic). Plants need nitrates, phosphate and quite a few other nutrients to do well.

I fed my daughter 2-3 ounces of food at a time when she was young. Now that she has grown up it's less than a snack. My point is that your plants have grown and require more nutrition. Seeing your nitrates fall may be a combination of this as well as huge amounts of beneficial bacteria. Plants are a great way to rid tanks of "the bad stuff" but we sometimes need to augment this to keep them healthy.

Water changes are a great way to remove/add water chemistry components. However, we can't do this and expect plants to do well without adding nutrients back. Great for the fish but bad for your plants.

As far as the CO2 being added via water changes it's not what we're looking for. Sure CO2 is added but it's gassed of rather quickly. The CO2 is not providing any real augment to your plants health. It's better to have stable nutrient levels than occasional CO2 with water changes.

What's all this mean? Basically you need to decide what type of tank you want. No water changes and low maintenance (little plant growth) or frequent water changes and regular nutrient dosing (higher plant growth).

To suggest what you need to do would be assumptive. It's your tank and you have goals you would like to meet. Simply put, you seem to be at a cross road where you need a little nudge in either direction. Which way do you intend to move forward?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I already fall into the latter. I dose liquid ferts into the water column and use root tabs in the substrate. I also use liquid co2 supplement and do 20% weekly wc. My lighting is the upper end of low tech. I really don't believe in large water changes. I've read about folks doing 100% daily wc and wondering why their fish are dying. Because they are swimming in tap water, lol ! I didn't realize the nitrate balance was dropping because my plants are huge now. For now, I'll stay on schedule.

Using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode