started dry dosing, have a question. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Since I start dosing at the beginning of the week I been watching my nitrates because I ended up adding a significant amount of stock to.my tank this week.

Since then I have noticed ammonia is still zero and same with nitrites is zero as well. Nitrates been maintaining their level since the added kno3 all week. Around 30ppm.

I am assuming there is no need to add more kno3 right? I am assuming the added 8 kuhli loaches and 8 black skirt tetras and 1 3spot gouramis is what's keeping it up.

And if I stop dosing kno3 and keep dosing micro and kh2po4 do I loose anything from kno3 ?

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-06-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 02:36 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
Since I start dosing at the beginning of the week I been watching my nitrates because I ended up adding a significant amount of stock to.my tank this week.

Since then I have noticed ammonia is still zero and same with nitrites is zero as well. Nitrates been maintaining their level since the added kno3 all week. Around 30ppm.

I am assuming there is no need to add more kno3 right? I am assuming the added 8 kuhli loaches and 8 black skirt tetras and 1 3spot gouramis is what's keeping it up.

And if I stop dosing kno3 and keep dosing micro and kh2po4 do I loose anything from kno3 ?
If you are sure that your nitrates are at 30 ppm consistently (calibrate your test kit to be sure), then you may not need to dose nitrates (or you could probably reduce it to 1/2 or 1/4 dosage, depending on your plant load).

If you stop dosing potassium nitrate, aside from losing nitrates, you will also lose potassium; this can be made up by dosing your potassium phosphate (or potassium sulfate, if need be).

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Still planning on dosing kh2po4, that will provide the potassium right? Does that one increase nitrates too? Or just kno3? What else do I lose if I stop dosing kno3??

What do I gain beside potassium from kh2po4?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipraposo1982 View Post
Still planning on dosing kh2po4, that will provide the potassium right? Does that one increase nitrates too? Or just kno3? What else do I lose if I stop dosing kno3??

What do I gain beside potassium from kh2po4?
No. The amount of potassium in KH2PO4 alone is not enough. If I remember correctly you are dosing half EI so you will only get about 0.4 ppm of potassium per dose from the KH2PO4.

If you have been dosing KNO3 then a nitrate level of 30 ppm is to be expected. Will the nitrates stay at this level if you stop? No idea. You'll have to see but I doubt it. I would personally continue KNO3 and keep an eye on the nitrates. If it continues to rise, reduce the dose until you have 10-30 ppm of nitrates.

IF you stop KNO3 then you can add 1/4 teaspoon of K2SO4 to account for the potassium loss by stopping KNO3. If you reduce KNO3 to say 1/8 teaspoon add an 1/8 of a teaspoon of K2SO4 as well to make up the potassium loss.

KH2PO4 supplies Phosphourus (as phosphate PO4) and a small amount of potassium. It does not contain any nitrates at all.

KNO3 supplies Nitrogen (as nitrate NO3) and a decent amount of potassium.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the info.

So far it doesn't seem to be dropping as usual. But like I said I have added a lot more fish and therefore more biowaste which means more nitrates.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode