Not sure what (if any) ferts I need? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Not sure what (if any) ferts I need?

My tank is a 60g long (so 24" high). I just purchased a 48" T5HO unit with total 108w. I am not sure yet if I will be able to put that on the tank in addition to my current 34w of lights. So will be eithe 108w or 142w total when installed.

Plants: anubia, java fern, java moss, pelia moss, vals, hygros, micro swords, diplis diandra, star grass.

Approx. 8 hours of light daily. I will be using Exel for liquid carbon. I have put root tabs in where the root feeders are.

Here's my dilemma. I have read that at low light - no ferts necessary. At medium light - you need ferts.

I believe with my new light I'll be at the border line between low and medium light.

At that light level do you think I need ferts?

If so, both micro and macro? I already have SeaChem Flourish and wondering if I need to get macro ferts also.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you are talking about Flourish comprehensive, I use that for the Micros.
I also use Tetra Pride for my iron.
The light level is not the only contributing factor. How much plants and fish you have are also included as factors. With a fairly light load of plants and a good number of fish the plants can get most of what they need from fish food/waste. This is often short on
a couple of nutrients though.
You can wait and see if any deficiencies develope or you can just get the three nutrients that you are short on or lacking completely. There are many sources for these ferts but this one is from someone on here and is just as if not cheaper than from an other source.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...393&highlight=
The ones you don't have are the Macros plus iron. There is only two nutients
needed for the Macros, KNO3 and KH2PO4. Sometimes when excess nitrates happen
from the KNO3(the NO3 part of it) combines/w the nitrates from the cycle and
people substitute K2SO4 in equal amounts for the KH2PO4. But usually half of each.
The iron can be gotten from Tetra Pride or the iron found on that site and should not be dosed onthe same day as the Macros are dosed.
I believe you have the same level of light in one of my tanks, but mine is a 10g.
I use no Excel in there and dose(the Flourish and Pride on the second day) 1/32 tsp each of KNO3 and K2SO4 so just to insure that you have some in your tank you could do 1/4 tsp of each without chance of build up if you do water changes each week.
One dosing system uses 50% water changes each week to keep from having a build up but the amount of doses I suggested is far less than their doses so a 20-25% water change will work if each week on your tank(depending on your fish level also).
I will stress again that with your light level you may not need any added ferts but
likely will need a little of them.
On the KH2PO4 only a very small amount is needed. 1/32 tsp is a good place to start unless deficiencies show up.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
If you are talking about Flourish comprehensive, I use that for the Micros.
I also use Tetra Pride for my iron.
The light level is not the only contributing factor. How much plants and fish you have are also included as factors. With a fairly light load of plants and a good number of fish the plants can get most of what they need from fish food/waste. This is often short on
a couple of nutrients though.
You can wait and see if any deficiencies develope or you can just get the three nutrients that you are short on or lacking completely. There are many sources for these ferts but this one is from someone on here and is just as if not cheaper than from an other source.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...393&highlight=
The ones you don't have are the Macros plus iron. There is only two nutients
needed for the Macros, KNO3 and KH2PO4. Sometimes when excess nitrates happen
from the KNO3(the NO3 part of it) combines/w the nitrates from the cycle and
people substitute K2SO4 in equal amounts for the KH2PO4. But usually half of each.
The iron can be gotten from Tetra Pride or the iron found on that site and should not be dosed onthe same day as the Macros are dosed.
I believe you have the same level of light in one of my tanks, but mine is a 10g.
I use no Excel in there and dose(the Flourish and Pride on the second day) 1/32 tsp each of KNO3 and K2SO4 so just to insure that you have some in your tank you could do 1/4 tsp of each without chance of build up if you do water changes each week.
One dosing system uses 50% water changes each week to keep from having a build up but the amount of doses I suggested is far less than their doses so a 20-25% water change will work if each week on your tank(depending on your fish level also).
I will stress again that with your light level you may not need any added ferts but
likely will need a little of them.
On the KH2PO4 only a very small amount is needed. 1/32 tsp is a good place to start unless deficiencies show up.
Ok thanks! That helps. Re the plants - they are all brand new and mostly from cuttings from an established tank. I have 1 anubia, 2 java ferns from a store. The rest are from someone's tank: some moss and at a guess maybe 30 or 40 cuttings that I am hoping will take root.

Re fish - I currently have:

2 dwarf gouramis
8 neon tetras
5 guppies
2 mollies
5 cories

I will be adding more though not sure what yet.

I did mean Flourish Comp. Also I actually just ordered the Seachem Flourish Potassium because I have hygras that have brown dots turning into holes and I am not sure what the problem is but read somewhere it could be potassium deficiency. Any ideas?

Another question - since many of the plants are just cuttings, if there is a deficiency do you think there's a chance it may just die? I am sure with an established plant you'll see the deficiency and have time to do something but if it's just a cutting I worry I won't have that much time before it's just dead already?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode