Short term algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Short term algae

I'm readying some plants by growing them for a month or two in a 10 gallon before I move them to my main tank. This tank is set up for growth not beauty

Planting them in main tank, wet or dry not and option.

In a short term scenario like this when growth is paramount algae will be present. Not a major deal as all plants will be cleaned before they hit the main tank. But my question is will the extra ferts and lighting I'm throwing on these plants offset any algae damage. I hate seeing the algae on my plants but the effort involved in balancing a short term small tank is counterproductive if even possible.

I see the algae and I know I should turn down the lights but I've got some plants that have melted down to soil but that I feel confidant will come back, turning down the lights and decreasing ferts seems counterproductive.I do not believe I am over fertilizing, I have organic soil with 13-13-13 added and either way the point is moot, the soil is there.

Short term damage from algae or ................?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:37 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
What kind of algae?

If it's one of the furry/stringy ones, dose some Excel.

If it's GSA or brown, toss in a few nerite snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Black furry stuff at the ends of the leaves, floating upward. I have a fancy camera but I'm clueless on how to use it.

No snails, I just bought every snail preventive in the world and I do mean the world since some things aren't sold in the states. All that money and I haven't seen one snail anyway.

I'll study Excel, I've seen people talking about it but I assumed it was fertilizer

Thanks

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Sounds like BBA (black beard algae).

Excel should be pretty effective.

Excel is marketed only as a carbon supplement since algaecides are so much more regulated. But it's very effective against most of the stringy-looking algaes.

Errr... should I tell you now that keeping snails out of a tank the size of your MT is almost definitely a war you will lose? You might win a few battles here and there...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Errr... should I tell you now that keeping snails out of a tank the size of your MT is almost definitely a war you will lose? You might win a few battles here and there... :hihi:
Rumor I heard was they took their eggs and fled as soon as they saw my name on the mailbox ;-)

I'll get some Excel

Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
you could at least tell square head why Gary had to take a vacation.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode