confused about Fishless cycle - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
confused about Fishless cycle

I started a fish less cycle about 2 weeks ago using pure ammonia. I must be doing something wrong. Today I have .5 ppm ammonia. 5 ppm nitrites and 10 ppm nitrates. I thought I wasn't supposed to have nitrates until nitrites and ammonia were 0??? What do I do now? Add more ammonia? ( I have done that X2 since the initial start of ammonia.) I don't think I have a complete grasp of how a cycle works despite my research. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
It sounds like your cycle is moving along just fine. If u have a lot of ammonia it takes a while for the bacteria to catch up so seeing ammonia nitrites and nitrates at the same time is normal. You have nitrates which is what u Want to see, it means your cycle is almost over. The ammonia eating bacteria shows up first then the nitrite eating bacteria shows up. U should be seeing high nitrate real soon, when u do, do a water change to bring the nitrates down. You'll know your cycle is done when u dose ammonia and it turns into nitrates in 24 hours. When I do fish less cycles it takes me about 3 weeks or so to get through it.

Last edited by greaser84; 06-04-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Forgot
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Nope, like Greaser84 just said, your cycle is moving along just like it should be!

The whole point of a "cycle" is to grow bacteria colonies. You start off the cycle by adding ammonia to a tank, and the first colony of bacteria you will grow will feed off of this ammonia, converting the ammonia into nitrites. Once there are nitrites present n the tank, another colony will start to grow that converts these nitrites into nitrates.

This all just takes time and patience. Keep adding ammonia daily to keep feeding all the bacteria.

When you get to the point where you added ammonia the day before and when you test the water the following day have 0 ppm ammonia AND 0 ppm nitrites, do a 50% water change and then dose ammonia again.

If you come back the following day and again have 0 ppm ammonia and 0 ppm nitrites, do another 50% water change and you are ready to start adding fish.

Shouldn't be much longer now!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh thank you so much!!!! I thought I was missing something!!! Another ?.... I have plants arriving today. Is it safe to add them to the tank with these water conditions?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Yep. Live plants should only speed your cycle along.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
In most cases those plants are from a tank already cycled and as such will have some of both of those type of bacteria on them which will help the cycle.
BTW those bacteria do not only live in the filter. They are on every surface in the tank.
Glass/gravel/plant stems. That is why some advise that you not clean all of the tank at one time.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiend View Post
Oh thank you so much!!!! I thought I was missing something!!! Another ?.... I have plants arriving today. Is it safe to add them to the tank with these water conditions?
Plants will be just fine during a cycle. I always put plants in before I start the cycle and they all live. Once you cycle and put fish in and for whatever reason you see an ammonia or nitrite spike do a water change. Water changes are what save fish in that situation.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So how often should I test once fish are in?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 09:33 PM
Algae Grower

Once your tank is finished cycling (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate 20ppm or less) then do a 50% water change. Give the tank a couple days retest and if your levels are the same and the nitrate is 10ppm or less then add a couple fish. You always want to give your tank at least 10 days to recover from adding livestock before introducing any more livestock. Also you should not have to add any more ammonia for the cycle. It should be fine from now on. As far as your testing regiment I would test before every water change. If your test registers any ammonia or nitrite then retest after the water change.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfiend View Post
So how often should I test once fish are in?
I'd test daily for at least a few days each time you add new fish. If you get any readings at all on either ammonia or nitrite, do a quick water change and I'd wait for at least a week of 0 ppm ammonia and nitrite before adding any more fish.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks so much! You were all very helpful!!! I got my plants in! Not up to the standards of many of you, but I'm happy with it!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Standards schmandards.

If YOU'RE happy with it, that is what it is ALL about. It's YOUR hobby! Enjoy!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode