Can I make Osmocote Plus Capsules - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Can I make Osmocote Plus Capsules

By purchasing the capsules and Osmocote Plus? Is there a certain size capsule needed?

Is this how people that sell them online get them or are they sold commercially?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Basically. Gelatin capsules or another organic style capsule will work. Just be sure to measure out your Osmocote by weight prior to adding it. That will give you consistent results with use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|||
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Can I make Osmocote Plus Capsules

Most people buy the 00 size capsules. Making them is extremely boring but saves you some money in the long run. Usually it's easier to just spend $10 on a 100 premade capsules, that will easily last you more than a year. I've nearly 500 gallons of aquariums and go through around 125 a year if I add them every four months.

As a side note, I have heard of people putting the fertilizer pellets in an ice cube tray and making ice cubes out of them. The basic idea behind the capsule is to make it to where you can get the fertilizer under the substrate easily. You could probably even make little panty hose balls filled with the fertilizer pellets, that would allow you to remove the empty cases that seem to never dissolve.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks!

I have a large bottle of feet so I figured I may as well use it.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kntry View Post
Thanks!

I have a large bottle of feet so I figured I may as well use it.
How many feet come in a large bottle?
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL, stupid auto correct. I typed Ferts and it changed it to feet!
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Lol I figured that but thought it was pretty funny.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, it was! I should read over what is typed before pushing the button. I hate the auto correct.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
While my wife keeps the ferts on hand for plants, I looked at the prices and found it would pay very little to do the work. It seems really boring to load, fit and cap the gel caps. So I opted for going online and found ready made fit my feeling far better. I'm not a busy guy but I still like any free work I pick up to have a better payback than I found on this one.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Takes me about 10 minutes to measure and cap 30 capsules. You can find a tool to sit out multiple capsule bottoms, fill them, and then the top of the tool holds the top of the capsules and with one push caps them.

Even by hand after measuring I could do 20 capsules in 15 minutes.

|||
|||
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerofthemoon View Post
Takes me about 10 minutes to measure and cap 30 capsules. You can find a tool to sit out multiple capsule bottoms, fill them, and then the top of the tool holds the top of the capsules and with one push caps them.

Even by hand after measuring I could do 20 capsules in 15 minutes.
That's where we all differ. You don't mind spending to get the tool plus about an hour to fill 80 caps at best. Then you have the measuring and expense of providing your own Osmocote. I got the caps already filled 100 for $6.50 shipped free.. So my labor would only be paying back less than $5 per hour of tedious boring labor. I can do fun work and make far more than that just being here goofing off on forums while waiting for response on the other one.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Check this thread out:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=640234

The op found these little plastic baskets for adding fertilizer to potted plants. They will work the same for aquariums and are re-useable. There are also some other ideas I came up for those baskets in that thread. They are pretty cheap and seem like they would do a good job.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
That's where we all differ. You don't mind spending to get the tool plus about an hour to fill 80 caps at best. Then you have the measuring and expense of providing your own Osmocote. I got the caps already filled 100 for $6.50 shipped free.. So my labor would only be paying back less than $5 per hour of tedious boring labor. I can do fun work and make far more than that just being here goofing off on forums while waiting for response on the other one.
The tool cost me $15, the 8lb bag cost $12, and 1000 caps cost $12. Overall I've made a few hundred, sold a hundred or so and traded a handful here and there. Overall the time and initial cost had paid off the spent $39 in what I've sold and what I've received for trades. I do understand that some people's time is worth more in a certain way, but I can knock out a bunch of caps while waiting on other things.

|||
|||
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You have to measure the Osmocote even thought they are going into 00 caps?

What is the amount?
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-04-2014, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
You have to measure the Osmocote even thought they are going into 00 caps?

What is the amount?
It's all a guess as to how many to place around which plants so the amount in each cap is not going to need to be precise. Stuff what looks right in each and go with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode