PH/KH Chart - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
PH/KH Chart

I guess I don't understand the PH/KH chart. I am using Tetra EasyStrips to measure my PH and KH. My problem is with the KH reading, my KH measures 120 with these strips. The KH portion of the chart runs from .5 to 15. What am I not understanding? Should I be dividing my readings by 10?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 05:30 PM
Planted Member

Your measurement of 120 is probably in ppm. The chart is in degrees. Multiply by 0.056 to get degrees. Your KH for the chart would be 6.72.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, that makes the readings make sense. However, I read on this forum that the KH/PH calculation for CO2 is invalid if you have any kind of buffering in the water. I would think that most substrates and/or rocks or driftwood would tend to buffer the water to some degree, making the calculation ineffective. Is that the case, or is it not enough to be significant.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
Thanks, that makes the readings make sense. However, I read on this forum that the KH/PH calculation for CO2 is invalid if you have any kind of buffering in the water. I would think that most substrates and/or rocks or driftwood would tend to buffer the water to some degree, making the calculation ineffective. Is that the case, or is it not enough to be significant.
It is definitely significant. When I first started with CO2 I tried to use that chart, but I was getting 60-70 ppm per the chart, at a low bubble rate for the CO2, and no effect from the CO2. It was only after I realized how a drop checker works, and used it, that I was able to increase the bubble rate enough to give me a significant amount of CO2 in the water. When you think you have 70 ppm of CO2, and have heard that 30-40 ppm is the optimum amount, you are very hesitant about increasing your bubble rate. It is the same as operating blind. (Experienced people can judge their CO2 by what the plants and fish are doing, but when you first start out that is very difficult to do.)

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 11:02 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The chart works great in the laboratory with an empty tank of water, great ph sensor, and calibrated accurate kh test kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The chart works great in the laboratory with an empty tank of water, great ph sensor, and calibrated accurate kh test kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
That's true, because the chart is based on the known relationship between pH and KH of the water containing carbonate ions, plus the concentration of CO2 dissolved in the water. There is no similar chart for real world aquarium water, with other stuff in it that affect either or both pH and KH independent of each other.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks to all for the clarification. I still want to use pressurized CO2, but will probably try it in the plant grow out tank until I feel confident that I can control it to where it is not dangerous to the fish. I have had some of these fish for a very long time and would feel really bad if I killed any of them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode