Need help with KH problem (need to lower) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Need help with KH problem (need to lower)

Other than using RO how can I lower my KH?

My 14g planted with DIY CO2 (Hagen Natural Plant system) has a KH of 15 dKH. pH is 7.0 and CO2 of 45 ppm.

This tank is heavily planted and has been set up for several months.

My 55g planted tank has a KH of 11 dKH with a pH of 7.2, giving me CO2 of 20.822 ppm which I am happy with.

I tested the water out of the tap and it took 11 drops for the color to change.

I also tested the water from a nearby town with a different water source and it only took 3 drops. Also, I used two different test kits and all results matched.

My tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

นะกัดตัง กะขะชนะ
ตัวข้ามีกำลังดังพระยา ปลาในมหาสมุทร
สุกุโยเกล็ดแก้วมณีหุ้มห่อตัวข้าดังเกราะเพชร
พุตากะเก เขี้ยวแก้วทั้ง 4 ดุจตรีเพชร
หนุมาน มะอะอุปลา ใดมารอนราน วินาศสันติ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
Hey Tom! How are those plants coming that you bought from me?

I was dealing with the same issue you are having and I went and bought a RO/DI unit. Here is a link that you can read and see what you think.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...lants-not.html

I thought about the idea of using peat but found to many bad experiences with it. As far as I know, those are the only 2 options (peat or RO water).

Current Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Hey Tom! How are those plants coming that you bought from me?

I was dealing with the same issue you are having and I went and bought a RO/DI unit. Here is a link that you can read and see what you think.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...lants-not.html

I thought about the idea of using peat but found to many bad experiences with it. As far as I know, those are the only 2 options (peat or RO water).
Those plants are doing great. That ambulia is looking good; I'm glad I went ahead and bought that one from you, too.

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to read through it later (it's getting busy here at the office at the moment with sex offenders and anger management counseling underway).

Peat and RO are the two methods I've read about....that and seltzer water.

My tanks:

นะกัดตัง กะขะชนะ
ตัวข้ามีกำลังดังพระยา ปลาในมหาสมุทร
สุกุโยเกล็ดแก้วมณีหุ้มห่อตัวข้าดังเกราะเพชร
พุตากะเก เขี้ยวแก้วทั้ง 4 ดุจตรีเพชร
หนุมาน มะอะอุปลา ใดมารอนราน วินาศสันติ

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Hydrochloric/ muriatic acid, distilled or bottled (RO/DI) water mix are also some options. The problem with acid is similar to peat, KH will always be replenished from your source and this will cause some headaches and TDS swings. Mixing with 0TDS water like bottled RO or distilled is simplest and most effective by diluting the source before it goes in the tank. Buying your own RO is a no brainer once you lug bottles home for a few weeks and start adding cost. After that you'll start pondering an auto water change system.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode