Low pH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Low pH?

I was doing my bi-weekly water change on my well established 20g tank and decided it had been a while since I did water parameter checks so i figured I'd do them. The ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte were all normal (0, 0, 10-15) but the pH was unusually low, it was 6.0. I never recalled my pH being that low, but since memories can lie to us, i figured i'd check some other things. So I checked my 5g tank, pH there was ~6.8, and the water coming out of my tap is 7.8+ (my drops only read to 7.8, the water was blue which is over 7.8 but who's to say how much.)

So my question is threefold:

1) What causes the pH to drop?

2) Should I worry about it / do something to try and bring it back up?

3) Could the low pH have caused the problem with intestinal parasites I recently had?

Thanks in advance!!!

Tank Parameters:
20g High, low tech tank
regular aquarium gravel, 78 degrees, Penguin Biowheel 100 filter
Flora:
Purple Cabomba, Wisteria, Cryptocoryne wendtii red (small), Crypt wendtii green (large), Crypt spiralis, Anubias (nana i think)
Fauna:
3 female Bettas, 3 mollies, 3 neon tetras, 3 glolight tetras, 3 zebra danios, 1 female guppy, 1 clown pleco

5.5 Gallon, low tech
regular aquarium gravel, 80 degrees, Red Sea nano filter
Flora:
Purple cabomba, wisteria, Crypt wendtii Red (large and small), crypt w. green, anubias (again, nana i think).
Fauna:1 male betta, 2 otos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (103/100%)
Hi
Can you get a KH reading
any added wood in the tank?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I don't have a test for kH, I added some wood a while ago, but this is the first time I've noticed a drop in pH since then, though i don't test it weekly or anything, so I suppose it could have been the wood. It's malaysian driftwood (if i recall correctly )

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Should I do anything other than water changes to raise the pH or should I leave it as is?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd just do regular water changes, and not worry over much about your pH. As long as it doesn't drift too far from your tap water you should be OK and regular PWC are all you need to do to prevent this.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds good, that's what i figured but I thought i'd double check! As always thanks so much fot the helpful advice!!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode