PTrader: (108/98%)
ph higher since diy co2 addtion?

i have checked my ph, nit,nitrate and ammonia today in my planted 29g,

the numbers

ph- 7.6
nitrite- 1.0
nitrate- 40
ammonia- 0

the ph was 6.8 about 2 weeks ago. but i added eco complete and a diy co2, and marineland bioballs(removed carbon filter) since then,what has caused the ph to spike? maybe the co2?

also have another tank thats

ph-7.6
nitrite- 1.0
nitrate-0
ammonia-0

this tank was also 6.8- 7.0ph before i added the eco,and bioballs( removed carbon filter). whats the dealeo?

im guesing my best bet is to go get ro water from walmart or grocery store?

wierd how it changed so fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

i had shultz aquasoil in the one 29 before 2 weeks ago and had low 6.3 ph because aquasoil lowers ph and makes water harder over time ive been told and saw for myself, ld i add the aquasoil to the filter media and get a lowred oh again i wonder?!?!?

the reason in concerned about the ph in the tanks is im about to put some yellow and snowball shrimp in the tank and a 7.6 ph they will die.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
the pH spike was most likely cause by the ecocomplete. No, it WAS caused by the EcoComplete.

there's a brief discussion here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...-complete.html

a bout of water changes should help stabilize your pH...but still, you may have to give it some time...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
the pH spike was most likely cause by the ecocomplete. No, it WAS caused by the EcoComplete.

there's a brief discussion here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...-complete.html

a bout of water changes should help stabilize your pH...but still, you may have to give it some time...

yes i have heard the eco would cause a higher ph, i wonder hld i out some aquasoil in it to try and level it out some.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

put aquasoil...in the tank, over the eco? Personally I don't like mixing substrates, especially two "active" substrates like eco and amazonia. I'm not sure what would happen, probably nothing, but still doesn't seem like a good idea or really necessary for that matter. Up your water changes, monitor your pH levels...they'll level out after a while...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

i guess the water change proably is my only hope, i dont belive in adding all these chemicals to the water like some people do, i hope my 60+ember tetras that have been fine in the lower ph (since thats what they like) will be ok in the higher ph. what kinda water changes should i do? 10 everyday or 25 or 50 a week? thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

It depends on how fast you want to "correct" the problem...time isn't really the most important factor hear, as dramatic pH shifts can be detrimental to livestock. If I were you , I might do 50% every other day...it's hard to do too many water changes, but, like someone's signature around here says..."nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem." Especially true of aquatic ecosystems. Up your water changes, watch your pH; try to measure around the same time every day, as this will give you the most accurate day-to-day readings (obviously if you took one first thing in the morning and another after CO2 ran all day, your results would be askew)...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode