Dry dosing and Nutrient Solution Recipes - Page 12 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:15 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Well you can always try it and see how it goes, nothing wrong with that. But it sounds to me like you've been reading some out-dated pps information from back when phosphates were still considered the big bad guy as far as algae.

That has been dis-proven time and time again. Look no further than the 100s or 1000s of people on here's high tech tanks running EI levels or greater. Personally I keep mine in the 5 ppm range in order to stave off gsa.

But the point is, if you dont think the fish load will provide enough N, what makes you think it will provide enough P? Those are the two main nutrients fish poop provides, in addition to some traces. It will provide virtually zero K, because there's none to speak of in fish food.

@Immortal1

If you are shooting for exact ppsp levels, then it sounds like you have enough, as @Audionut pointed out.

K is one nutrient that is virtually impossible to overdose on. To me, a better question would be why not add more? Esp if your hygro or anything else is still showing pinholes.
Exactly what I was thinking. Just did not want to open another can of worms so to speak. I guess what I am doing, in a way, is tailoring my available ferts to my current tank conditions. Will begin looking at the micro's in the same way soon (comparing different methods)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Well you can always try it and see how it goes, nothing wrong with that. But it sounds to me like you've been reading some out-dated pps information from back when phosphates were still considered the big bad guy as far as algae.

That has been dis-proven time and time again. Look no further than the 100s or 1000s of people on here's high tech tanks running EI levels or greater. Personally I keep mine in the 5 ppm range in order to stave off gsa.

But the point is, if you dont think the fish load will provide enough N, what makes you think it will provide enough P? Those are the two main nutrients fish poop provides, in addition to some traces. It will provide virtually zero K, because there's none to speak of in fish food.

@Immortal1

If you are shooting for exact ppsp levels, then it sounds like you have enough, as @Audionut pointed out.

K is one nutrient that is virtually impossible to overdose on. To me, a better question would be why not add more? Esp if your hygro or anything else is still showing pinholes.
Yup, i agree. But how should i add po4 now? Or is it ok for smtime? Atleast for 50days, then will make proper pps pro.
post #168 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. Just did not want to open another can of worms so to speak. I guess what I am doing, in a way, is tailoring my available ferts to my current tank conditions. Will begin looking at the micro's in the same way soon (comparing different methods)
Over the last six months or so, Ive been working to tailor EI to meet my own specific needs also.

Currently dosing 1/2 N, 2x P, and 7.5 ppm K 3x week

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomania View Post
Yup, i agree. But how should i add po4 now? Or is it ok for smtime? Atleast for 50days, then will make proper pps pro.
I dont see why you couldnt add the P to what you have mixed up now. Shake well and it should be good to go. Or just try it without for 6 weeks and see what happens. It may be fine. Worst case is plants stunt and you'll be overrun with algae.

Last edited by burr740; 10-21-2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: .

post #169 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Good advise burr!

I won't repeat what burr said. However, I do agree that you need to dose the full compliment of nutrients. If your plants don't need the extra there's no harm done. If, however, they do need that extra PO4 then growth and or health will be impacted. I would add the PO4 to what you have. Personally, I would simply remix a new batch since dry fertilizers are so cheap. No real need to try and save $0.25 worth of fertilizers.
post #170 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:28 AM
Planted Member

Whats causing this? My tank is a week old and im dosing pps pro as u guys know, 10ml npk and 10ml csmb and 3ml iron everyday 400liter total water volume

PICS:

post #171 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:30 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Over the last six months or so, Ive been working to tailor EI to meet my own specific needs also.

Currently dosing 1/2 N, 2x P, and 7.5 ppm K 3x week

I dont see why you couldnt add the P to what you have mixed up now. Shake well and it should be good to go. Or just try it without for 6 weeks and see what happens. It may be fine. Worst case is plants stunt and you'll be overrun with algae.
Kool, will do that..
post #172 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
Good advise burr!

I won't repeat what burr said. However, I do agree that you need to dose the full compliment of nutrients. If your plants don't need the extra there's no harm done. If, however, they do need that extra PO4 then growth and or health will be impacted. I would add the PO4 to what you have. Personally, I would simply remix a new batch since dry fertilizers are so cheap. No real need to try and save $0.25 worth of fertilizers.
True...
post #173 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I think there is a discrepancy between the csm+b values. Using the rotalabutterfly calculator I get different values for creating the solutions.

In the 1ml/gal solution you recommend 3 1/4 tsp while the calculator lists <3tsp. It's not much but I'm trying to figure out why there is a difference. The difference between calculations carries out for other solutions as well. However both you and the butterfly calculator give the same dry weight so I think the error is in converting between grams and tsp.
post #174 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasterMake View Post
I think there is a discrepancy between the csm+b values. Using the rotalabutterfly calculator I get different values for creating the solutions.

In the 1ml/gal solution you recommend 3 1/4 tsp while the calculator lists <3tsp. It's not much but I'm trying to figure out why there is a difference. The difference between calculations carries out for other solutions as well. However both you and the butterfly calculator give the same dry weight so I think the error is in converting between grams and tsp.
I calculate my teaspoon measures differently. I would rather not list four or five measures i.e. equivalent to 2 tsp + 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp + 1/8 tsp + 1/64 tsp. Instead, I round the measure to 1/32 and call it done. Besides using teaspoons to measure is not perfectly accurate to begin with hence the word approximately in from of them all.

A teaspoon of Plantex weighs approx. 4,300 mg. The mg dose is 14,492.50074 mg so...

14,492.50074 / 4,300 = 3.37 teaspoons

In my code I convert decimal portions to teaspoon measures using these amounts,

1/32 = 0.015625 - 0.046874
1/16 = 0.046875 - 0.09375
1/8 = 0.09376 - 0.1875
1/4 = 0.1876 - 0.375
1/2 = 0.376 - 0.625
3/4 = 0.626 - 0.875

Since 0.37 falls within the 1/4 range it reports 1/4 teaspoon.

This is as close as your really going to come using teaspoons. Sure I could reduce the measures and make them even smaller. The fact is that 1/32 increments is more than small enough since volumetric measures are not terribly accurate in the first place.
post #175 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for the reply. That's the info I was looking for.
post #176 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:38 PM
Planted Member

15ml/75 Gallons

KNO3 115.7 gm (approximately 22 1/4 teaspoons)
Plantex CSM+B 72.5 gm (approximately 16 3/4 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 17.6 gm (approximately 3 1/8 teaspoons)
Optional: K2SO4 47 gm (approximately 7 1/4 teaspoons)

Are the above numbers applicable for a 75 gallons tank or 75 gallons of water? I just setup my new tank. Based on the substrate depth and other hardscape, I would estimate my tank to hold 62-65 gallons of water. Pressurized CO2 and high lights are being run. Substrate is inert sand.

Would it make sense for me add 12-13 ml of the fertilizer liquid instead of 15 ml considering my tank's water volume?

On a side note, I am planning to add Plantex and DTPA Iron (11%) in very small quantities compared to above numbers - More like what Burr has been doing in his 120 since my parameters seem close to his. My water is pretty soft (KH - 2, GH - 4) and I have been reading a lot about trace toxicity with softer water.
post #177 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay_06 View Post
15ml/75 Gallons

KNO3 115.7 gm (approximately 22 1/4 teaspoons)
Plantex CSM+B 72.5 gm (approximately 16 3/4 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 17.6 gm (approximately 3 1/8 teaspoons)
Optional: K2SO4 47 gm (approximately 7 1/4 teaspoons)

Are the above numbers applicable for a 75 gallons tank or 75 gallons of water? I just setup my new tank. Based on the substrate depth and other hardscape, I would estimate my tank to hold 62-65 gallons of water. Pressurized CO2 and high lights are being run. Substrate is inert sand.

Would it make sense for me add 12-13 ml of the fertilizer liquid instead of 15 ml considering my tank's water volume?

On a side note, I am planning to add Plantex and DTPA Iron (11%) in very small quantities compared to above numbers - More like what Burr has been doing in his 120 since my parameters seem close to his. My water is pretty soft (KH - 2, GH - 4) and I have been reading a lot about trace toxicity with softer water.
I generally try to calculate for actual water volume instead of tank size. My previous 75 held 62 gallons, canister held 2-3, so I dosed for 65. Its not all that critical though

If you want to get a little more precise with the micros I'd suggest using a calculator instead of these tsp recipes

Zorfox has a downloadable version that's really good - http://www.zorfox.com/plantedtank/

Here's a good online calculator - https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

If you need help using either one, just ask

post #178 of 179 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
I generally try to calculate for actual water volume instead of tank size. My previous 75 held 62 gallons, canister held 2-3, so I dosed for 65. Its not all that critical though

If you want to get a little more precise with the micros I'd suggest using a calculator instead of these tsp recipes

Zorfox has a downloadable version that's really good - Zorfox's Planted Tank Calculator

Here's a good online calculator - https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

If you need help using either one, just ask
Thank you! I am using APC's Fertilator and determine CSM+B needs based on FE ppm.
post #179 of 179 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:58 PM
Algae Grower

Any tips for a low tech medium light 55 gallon? I use KNO3, KH2PO4 and Flourish (for micros).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode