Dry dosing and Nutrient Solution Recipes - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 04:21 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Nice looking tank. Expect you'll be severely low on P eventually. Omitting a main macro nutrient isnt a good idea, imo.
Oh.. ok, will add then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I think you're confusing two different fertilizing methods. PPS-pro is dosed everyday. EI is dosed every other day.

I agree with burr that you shouldn't ignore PO4. I would start with the recommended amounts and adjust as needed.

If you will have such a high bio-load, it would be a wise choice to do frequent water changes. If you do this then EI would be a better dosing method in my opinion.
Well then is it ok to add both at the same time?
post #153 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanomania View Post
Well then is it ok to add both at the same time?
Not at all. The choice should be based on water change frequencies and/or the amount of plant growth you expect. PPS requires less maintenance but less growth. EI requires water changes and typically more trimming due to more growth.

The doses listed in this thread are for EI. If you want to understand more about this method read this, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...explained.html

post #154 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 07:56 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Not at all. The choice should be based on water change frequencies and/or the amount of plant growth you expect. PPS requires less maintenance but less growth. EI requires water changes and typically more trimming due to more growth.

The doses listed in this thread are for EI. If you want to understand more about this method read this, https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...explained.html
Kool thread, and great info. Well i selected this method coz i can only do wc once in a month or max once in 3 weeks. also since i have water issue, i can only do 50% wc, everytime i do more than that, fishes die. I dont have a space to keep 80g of water and let it stay for 24hrs thwn add to tanks. I do direct tap water into the tank and use seachem safe, since then iv never had any fish loss. So please tell me when n howmuch to dose. Since for this method they say ro dose both every day, can i add npk before lights on and trace after lights are off for 6days a week and 1once a week add iron coz of somany red plants. Please suggest, im confused. We dont get many testkits here and most of them are old and expiered. Alao how to know what plant has what deficiency so i can add it extra. Thanks
post #155 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This is typical PPS-Pro

Add the amounts listed in 500ml and dose 10ml once a day.

Macro Bottle
KNO3 32.61 gm (approximately 6 1/4 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 2.87 gm (approximately 1/2 teaspoons)
K2SO4 14.63 gm (approximately 2 1/4 teaspoons)

Micro Bottle
Plantex CSM+B 30.63 gm (approximately 7 1/8 teaspoons)
DTPA Fe (10%) 6 gm (approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons)
post #156 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 03:32 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
This is typical PPS-Pro

Add the amounts listed in 500ml and dose 10ml once a day.

Macro Bottle
KNO3 32.61 gm (approximately 6 1/4 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 2.87 gm (approximately 1/2 teaspoons)
K2SO4 14.63 gm (approximately 2 1/4 teaspoons)

Micro Bottle
Plantex CSM+B 30.63 gm (approximately 7 1/8 teaspoons)
DTPA Fe (10%) 6 gm (approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons)
Yup, iv made same but also added mag sulfate, as per the calculator, csmb iv made using 40gms in 500ml rest is same. Also is it ok to add macro micro one after another at night? Or shud i add macro before lights and micro after lights? Ill also add iron extra every sunday 20ml (10g in 500ml).. so thts fine??
post #157 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Micro and Macro are supposed to be dose on separate days.
Mon./Wed./Fri. Macro then Tue./Thur./Sat. for Micros as an example.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #158 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Micro and Macro are supposed to be dose on separate days.
Mon./Wed./Fri. Macro then Tue./Thur./Sat. for Micros as an example.
Pps pro method suggests to add everyday... im confused.
post #159 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry, I forgot the Magnesium. Just add it to the macro bottle.

You're better off adding your iron to the micro bottle. Iron supplements do not remain available for the entire week. Better to add this on a regular basis.

You can dose macro and micro on the same day. You just have to let one mix well before adding the next.
post #160 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Sorry, I forgot the Magnesium. Just add it to the macro bottle.

You're better off adding your iron to the micro bottle. Iron supplements do not remain available for the entire week. Better to add this on a regular basis.

You can dose macro and micro on the same day. You just have to let one mix well before adding the next.
Ok, so since iv already made csmb, and iron seperately, so if im dosing 20ml iron on weekend, ill dose 3ml everyday. Also csmb has some iron already. And instead of adding micro and macro together, ill add either 1 before lights and other after lights or incase i forget, ill add both after lights with 5mints interval... so finally am i correct??
post #161 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Pps pro method suggests to add everyday... im confused.
My statement was a reference to the usually preset instructions given/w EI.
Given the Zorfox's credibility in such matters I'd not hesitate to follow
his "suggestion" before any from another source.
nanomania and nanomania like this.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #162 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Been meaning to ask this question for awhile and since getting some nice new plants from burr740 I figured it is about time.
On my 75 gallon tank I have been using the PPS-Pro method. Originally I was dosing exactly as listed on the bottles as received from GLA. After battling with GSA for awhile I was told that keeping the phosphate level around 5ppm would help. Well, I was at 1.5 to 2. I have since modified the PPS-Pro as listed below and my GSA has reduced significantly and the API phosphate test is running around 5ppm now.

Now for the big question (sorry, I can tend to ramble).
Should I increase my K2SO4 mix from 29 grams / 500ml to 52 grams?
I ask this because I have been playing around with Zorfox's Windows based calculator and it seems he knows his $#!^ so to speak and I don't.
The spreadsheet below is a summary of what I know on the macro side
The pic is, well, what it is :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #163 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are dosing KNO3, then no.

The PPS-pro dose of KNO3 adds 0.6ppm of K. PPS-pro calls for 1.33ppm of K.

You're 29grams K2SO4 in solution is adding 0.75ppm K. So combined you reach your target of 1.33ppm K.

However, KH2PO4 also adds K. With standard PPS-pro dosing of KH2PO4 you can neglect it's contribution to K since it's minimal. But since your boosting phosphate to reach 5ppm, this will be adding significant amounts of K. A 2ppm dose of KH2PO4 adds 0.8ppm K.

TLDR: No, stick to your current solution of K, and don't add any K when adding lots of P.

edit: Just noticed your current KH2PO4 dosing. Just stick to your current solution of K2SO4 and dose as per recommendation.

Last edited by Audionut; 10-21-2015 at 02:23 AM. Reason: I learnt how to read properly
post #164 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 04:51 PM
Planted Member

Guys iv not added kh2po4 to the pps pro method, i thought as i like keeping bioload high i dont need extra po4 in my tank, i know every1 suggested to add later on, well what shud i do now to add seperately? I have made 500ml which will last for 50 days for my 400liter (net water volume)
post #165 of 179 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Guys iv not added kh2po4 to the pps pro method, i thought as i like keeping bioload high i dont need extra po4 in my tank, i know every1 suggested to add later on, well what shud i do now to add seperately? I have made 500ml which will last for 50 days for my 400liter (net water volume)
Well you can always try it and see how it goes, nothing wrong with that. But it sounds to me like you've been reading some out-dated pps information from back when phosphates were still considered the big bad guy as far as algae.

That has been dis-proven time and time again. Look no further than the 100s or 1000s of people on here's high tech tanks running EI levels or greater. Personally I keep mine in the 5 ppm range in order to stave off gsa.

But the point is, if you dont think the fish load will provide enough N, what makes you think it will provide enough P? Those are the two main nutrients fish poop provides, in addition to some traces. It will provide virtually zero K, because there's none to speak of in fish food.

@Immortal1

If you are shooting for exact ppsp levels, then it sounds like you have enough, as @Audionut pointed out.

K is one nutrient that is virtually impossible to overdose on. To me, a better question would be why not add more? Esp if your hygro or anything else is still showing pinholes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode