Tank going from S.W. to F.W. questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)
Tank going from S.W. to F.W. questions

Ok I have a great opportunity to buy a store rack of tanks at a great price but have a question pertaining to the safety of the inside and possibly to the plastic as it is acrylic.

I would like to use this setup as a growing rack for raising freshwater angels but I know the store has been using it as a saltwater rack. I think I have read somewhere that there are saltwater medications and chemicals that could seep into acrylic or plastic tanks. Is this correct? Is there a way to bring them out or clean them up?

Any knowledge from somebody who has dealt with acrylic tanks maybe on the store level for any number of years would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
The main concern tends to be with copper based meds and the chief problem with used tanks is mainly for inverts. If you don't plan a shrimp farm, etc., you ought to be OK.

75g 3 T8s 2x OD, XP3, pres. CO2,
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Cool. Thought it was copper meds but wasn't sure. Going to go ahead and get them and bleach the heck out of them and see how it goes.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
what size are the tanks?

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It's a Casco 8ft x 8ft with 10 tanks. Just grabbed it off ebay in my town. $585.00 with lights but no plumbing or filtration. What do you think of the price? Seemed pretty good compared to other display setups I have seen on Ebay. They usually went for $750 plus from what ones I have seen go and as far as plumbing and filtration I would rather do all that myself anyways.

Well the 2 tanks in the middle shelf look to be like 40-50 gallons as they look to be about 48" x 15" x 15"(rough guesses from when I was last in the store) and the bottom and top rows consist of 4 tanks on each row with what looked to be about the same dimensions so I would guess about 20 gallons each.

After I get them I will have to make the decision if they are tall enough to accommodate angels or I could move my breeding plecos into these and use my other parade of 55 gallon tanks for the angels. We will see soon.

Thanks
Jeremy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/86%)
20 gallons are no good for breeding angels and you need more than two tanks.

This user has been suspended indefinitely due to the abuse of the Swap and Shop forum.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode