Proper water parameters - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Proper water parameters

What are the proper water parameters for a planted tank? I know what they are for ponds but not planted tanks.

My tank is 75 gallons, MTS with black capping sand, Swords, Anubias, moss and Italian Vals with a farm of hair algae. My tank has been up and running for about 1.5 months.

I have 4 Neons, 6 White Cloud Minnows, 7 Rummynose Tetras, 2 Kuli Loaches, 2 Ottos, various Nerites, MTS, Red Cherry Shrimp and tons of pond snails.

Parameters:

pH 7.5
Hardness and Alkalinity 9 drops or 161
Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates - 0

I'm El dosing once a week right now because I'm trying to remember to do it 3 times a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Water parameters can vary a lot for a planted tank. The much more important thing is the amount of light you have. The more light, the more you need CO2, and the more light the more you need to keep the CO2 consistent, from day to day, as well as the more CO2 you need. Also, the plants' growth rates are dependent on how much light you have, so the more light you have, the more nutrients the plants use per day, requiring higher and/or more often dosing.

Since you already have an algae problem you probably are not using CO2 at all, or you are using too little and to inconsistent for the amount of light you have. What lighting are you using - type of lights, and how many bulbs, and how far from the lights to the substrate?

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Right now, I have a BML Red light which sits about 3" above the water's surface so it's about 20" from the substrate. I have a Multi-Channel Dutch XB one on order but it's taking forever for it to be made.

I have the CO2 on a timer. It runs from 4:00 until 11:00 p.m. every day. I'm adjusting the amount till I can get the pH checker to turn light green but so far, it's light blue. I've been turning up the CO2 every day. I don't want to gas my fish. The bubbles are coming to fast for me to count them but not to where I can't see a space between them.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 07:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

What are you using as a CO2 reactor/diffuser? For a 75 gallon tank an external reactor, like a 2 inch diameter PVC pipe about 18 inches long, with the CO2 and water entering at the top and exiting from the bottom should work ok.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm using the large Max Mix Reactor.

I wish I would have known it was that easy to build one. This one was a major PITB to hook up because I needed the elbow. I tried gluing it, didn't work. I put JB Weld on it then sprayed it with Stop Leak and put a wire tie around the elbow, joining it to the reactor so it wouldn't come off in the middle of the night and flood my room.

Every time I take the Fluval's out to clean them, I have to turn the reactor upside down to make it fill, without breaking off that elbow.

Should I have Nitrates? Nitrates are not allowed in koi ponds so this is a new venture for me.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944 should help you answer a lot of your own questions.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode