distilled water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
distilled water

Do I need to add any de-chloriine stuff for distilled water? Or can I just add it straight?

Do!Aqua Mini-M Shrimp Tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
There's no need to treat distilled water.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

now.. how much distilled water would I need to get my PH from 8.2 to 7.0? lol

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)
Well, if you're starting with 1,000,000 gals or so--then you'd need a bunch!

HTH

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sorry, I forgot to mention its a 29 gal tank
I just made a 40% water change. 2 gal distilled water, the rest was treated tap water with PRIME

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, I was just messin' with ya.......

The theoretical pH of distilled is ~7.0. It actually works out a bit higher--IIRC--but I may have that confused with RO or RODI. That's excluding C02 content. C02 is an acid that will lower the pH, but since you are not adding C02 to your shrimp tank--you would need ~100% distilled in order to maintain a pH of ~7.0.....

HTH

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ugh.. 29 gal of distilled water.... I'm going to test my tap water. Wonder what that would be. I"ll head to walmart to get some distilled water. I think that should be the cheapest.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The cheapest over the long haul would just be to go RO, but its somewhat expensive to setup and can be a bit of a hassle. But that would be the cheapest---over the long haul....

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 03:18 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
ph isn't important.. You'd want to get your GH & KH (if it's high) to what you want with distilled or RO water.

You wouldn't want your whole tank full of distilled water unless you want dead fish & plants.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The tank has Cherry Red Shrimp right now (Im surprised they are doing fine with such high PH) but I'll be gettting Crystal red shrimp soon and they require a PH of 6.5-7.2

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
have you checked your GH & KH?
that's more important.

you can try running the tank for a while first with lots of plants and maybe peat moss in the filter.. That'll lower PH too.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
RCS (red cherry shrimp) are hardy little boogers- they breed fine even in alkaline water.

Mister- pH is important when breeding specialized livestock is a goal; affects growth rates at a molecular level, gas exchange across membranes, etc. CRS (crystal red shrimp) definitely fall into that category.

Lui- have you checked your LFS for RO/DI water? Some will sell it cheaper than you could get at WallyWorld, since SW tank enthusiasts need it...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

There is no wallyworld near me.

So before the water change my PH was 8.2. After a 40% water change (2gal DI and the rest tap water treated with PRIME) the next day the PH is 8.0. My tap water is 7.4

I'll do another water change tomorrow or the next day with some more DI and tap water.

Background of the tank: 29 gal used to be African Cichlid tank. I put baking soda and epsom salt in there when they were in there. So now im trying to take that out and make the PH low ( 6.5-7.0) Pretty extreme. I dont want to use PEAT b/c it will make the water brown. I could add a big peice of driftwood along with DI water and tap water.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Sorry- Wallyworld = walmart

You mentioned in another thread that you're also adding pH lowering chemicals to this tank? IMO that's asking for a chemical soup- just stick with the RO/DI water or else you'll never achieve any stability in the tank. Fluctuations/lack of water parameter stability will kill livestock five thousand times faster than being kept at a "slightly not ideal" pH/gH.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeh, I'm going to stick with the DI/treated tap water with PRIME.

With 1 40% water change it brought the PH down .2... I'll just have to keep doing changes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode