Fertilizer baskets - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
Fertilizer baskets

For those of you use granules fertilizer(osmocote plus), the fertilizer baskets are better choice if you don't want to use gelatin capsules that disintegrate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What "fertilizer baskets"? I don't recall ever seeing such a thing.

Hoppy
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
I have not hear of this either and the photo doesn't work on tapatalk.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
What "fertilizer baskets"? I don't recall ever seeing such a thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarist View Post
I have not hear of this either and the photo doesn't work on tapatalk.

Canon Pimp Club #17
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Those look pretty cool, how long is the spike, and the basket? Looks like they would work best is deeper substrate layers. Gel caps may still be better for the foreground.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Those look pretty cool, how long is the spike, and the basket? Looks like they would work best is deeper substrate layers. Gel caps may still be better for the foreground.

three size, S,M,L. the S size is 2cm diameter, 2 cm depth, spike is about 2.5 cm, you can cut the spike.

pretty cheap too, 60 pieces is about $10.

add: actually my order of 60 pieces baskets are coming in, I will put the osmocote in and bury the baskets upside down, the little piece plastic spike sticking out of the substrate looks like a shoot.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Last edited by Bettatail; 05-16-2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: add
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 04:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I wouldn't want the fertilizer balls/granules to be concentrated in one area like that. Those baskets are made for terrestrial plantings, not aquatic. What problem do they solve in an aquarium?

Hoppy
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 03:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Loose osmocote balls that are used up, but still intact. After X amount of time you can pull up the basket with the empty osmocote spheres and throw them away.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 04:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Fertilizer baskets

I think these are pretty cool, I really like the colors, I think they could come in handy. It can help replace the majority of gel tabs for most people but you'll still need to use the gel tab in shallow substrate. I like the idea that it will continue to hold the opened fertilizer capsules, that way you can easily remove them and throw them away. These may have more uses rather than just for fertilizers, depending on the size of the basket you could put frozen food in them, like bloodworms or food for shrimp. I also think these would be really cool to grow moss on, you can put a little bit of moss on the inside and when it grows out you can trim it into a ball or whatever shape pleases you, and the spike will help you plant it into the substrate where you want it, and you can move it around whenever you like easily. I also think filled with moss you can take the spike and stick them into drift wood, or perhaps through a suction cup and put them on the glass. You could make some pretty cool designs for a moss wall that way, would be super easy to do a cross hatching.

The baskets also seem bigger than the gel tabs, so you can add more fertilizer so for well established tanks instead of sticking 20-30 tabs in you can put 10-15 baskets. The bigger size of the basket would also benefit larger plants and you will not have to refill them as often as you would have to replace the gel tabs.

The main draw back I see is the basket is solid, so it will always take up space under the substrate, so in order to have them under a carpet you would have to either grow plants over top of the basket and dog it up when you need to refill it or leave that area barren. Another draw back would be the fact that if buried too close to plants with fast growing roots their roots may grow into the basket itself, this may not be too big or a problem with certain plants but I personally try and disturb as little roots as possible.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 07:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Bit concern for moss. It will float it's made from plastic, the floating island planters I have use weights. Same with the sinking

must....have.....more....moss n shrimp!!!!!!!!!!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

The baskets possible.
damn, my original intention was to keep the granules particles in the baskets instead of going all over the places in the 170G tank.

I used laguna fertilizer sticks, works really well, but too expensive and are the same osmocote plus inside, the baskets work the same as Laguna Fertilizer sticks so I can stay away from the gelatin capsules.

and you really know how to utilize it, I am going to order some large size as feeding baskets for the angelfish.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode