CO2 bubbles with surface agitation? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question CO2 bubbles with surface agitation?

Hi,

I run DIY CO2 (acid citric and soda) in my 29g tank.
I have 2 Fluval C3 HOB filters, so there is some surface agitation.

I run CO2 1 bubble per second for 2 days (8h daily via glass diffuser) and the HP stay the same, not lowered at all. So it's means that all the CO2 is gas-off?

Do I need to add more buubles (2-3-4-5 every second)?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 PM
Algae Grower

You need a drop checker to see what the c02 level actually is...you will lose some to surface agitation but 1 bubble per sec should be ok although you might need to run it 24/7 because even though the plants give off c02 at night you are probably not getting enough concentrated in the water. You can run an airstone at night but I run my co2 24/7 and with the agitation from my hob filters I have good levels and no oxygen problems with the fish.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
You need a drop checker to see what the c02 level actually is...you will lose some to surface agitation but 1 bubble per sec should be ok although you might need to run it 24/7 because even though the plants give off c02 at night you are probably not getting enough concentrated in the water. You can run an airstone at night but I run my co2 24/7 and with the agitation from my hob filters I have good levels and no oxygen problems with the fish.
Thanks

How long it will take to lower pH?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The PH should changes within hours. You need to increase the bubble rate slowly every couple of days. Bubble rates are different for every tank. I have a 10g that's set somewhere around 3-4bps. Ideally, you want to get to a point where you see signs of distress in your fish such as gasping, crowding in one area, darting around, lethargy etc. This is why it's important to go slow and watch your fish closely. Then you reduce it to the previous setting or even back to a few previous settings so you have a larger margin for change.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Surface agitation is actually a good thing. Proper gas exchange and nasty build ups are broken up into smaller pieces which then won't leave nasty lines on your tank when your water level drops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So, with 2 bubbles/second my CO2 check dropper become green.

Tags
co2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode