Root tabs (DIY) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Root tabs (DIY)

Firstly, I'm not sure if this should go in this section of the forum, or the DIY. Mods, obviously feel free to move if required.

A bottle of Osmocote plus, and some size 00 gelatine capsules makes me a very happy man

So for the next hour Iíll sit down and make a load of DIY root tabs. My Amazon sword has started to yellow, and the root-tabs that you can buy in the shop seem really expensive.

Iím planning on doing a water change tonight and quick general tidy up so this will be an ideal time to get these bad boys down. Iíll post a picture before, and if I remember, Iíll try and keep some updates going.

Iíve never used root-tabs before, but after some reading I know that Iíve got to Ďplantí them pretty deep to avoid ammonia spikes.

Iím a little unsure of how many to use, or if just to push a couple in around the heavy root feeders. Maybe a silly question, but Iím assuming the Crypts and Val etc will benefit from these, which in that case Iím guessing that an even spread over the whole footprint would be a good idea? Whatís the Ďrangeí of these, 3inches?

My footprint of my tank is 42cms x 80cms *(height of 64cm but thatís not important in this, is it?), and the substrate is JBL Manado Natural Substrate

Any feedback would be great guys/gals as Iíve got a niggling feeling that this is going against what I perceive to be ok, putting plant ferts etc into a fish tank, when all my fishkeeping time Iíve been trying to keep this as pure as possible Ė apart from the usual fish waste etc. I donít even dose Excell or anything.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Algae Grower

I use the exact same thing...I just push them down as deep as I can. It also helps to use a needle to put little pin holes in the capsule so it will sink/stay down a little easier. I usually put one or two right next to or right underneath a plant and then put one or two a couple inches away. It depends on how planted your tank is but one every couple inches or so is plenty. You can always add more so don't overdo it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, lets see how this goes then. I made a load of DIY tabs up yesterday, and put 5 in last night.

Here are the pics from last night – sorry about the quality, phone camera. Also the water is cloudy as I’d been rooting around pushing in my tabs, and also stirred things up with a water-change.

Full Tank Shot: 1 tab in the front’ish left, 1 x front’ish middle, 1 x right next to central amazon sword, 1 x middle of the brown (crypts?), 1 x rear right near the jungle valls.

Left Hand Side where I put the tab:

Central where I put two tabs:

Right Hand Side where I put a tab:

I’ll try and update a week from now, from roughly the same position and we’ll see what happens.

Last edited by re_hashed; 05-16-2014 at 08:48 AM. Reason: .

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I used the Omocote flower and vegetable something or other...I put them in a 40b and just kinda laid them out so that they where in the substrate 3"-4" apart.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode