please help!! everyone is dying! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
please help!! everyone is dying!

Hello!!

I'm still very much a novice when it comes to planted tanks and this was my first. I have a 12 gallon nano cube and everything has been perfect until yesterday when I spotted about 10-15 cherry red shrimp dead. Ever since, all of my fish and shrimp have been hanging out at the very top of the water level and are trying their hardest to survive. I bought a pH and ammonia test today and everything seems to be ok. pH is around 7.2 and my ammonia tester hasn't actually shown me much results yet, I think I need a better tester.

I thought that there might be too much chlorine in my tap water so I added some water conditioner and still no improvements. I also did a major water change today hoping things would clear up but everything still seems very hectic for all of my fish.

I am not sure what is going on! All of my shrimp and fish are going to the top of the tank like the lower end of my tank is contaminated. Is there anything I can do to save the lives of my fish?? It's really depressing to see my fish suffer and I have no idea how to save them!

Thank you so much for all of your help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
My first thought might be that the tempature of the water is a little too high. Fish gasping is a sign that they are not able to extract enough O2 out of the water column, and this can definately be related to higher than normal temps.

Are you injecting CO2 into the tank in any way?

This would be the second thing I would consider.

A quick water change might be the best solution (about 50%) with slightly cooler water. You should see the change immediately.

The other thing is that you want to add the clorine remover prior to doing the water change.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Clarification:

1. Suck out 50% of the water.
2. Add chlorine remover. (Prime, etc)
3. Add water back to tank.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick response!!I was injecting CO2 into the water, I pulled out the CO2 diffuser right after the water change, I'll put in some chlorine remover right now, and I just lowered the temperature. If there are any other suggestions for me please oh please let me know!! I am desperate! Thank you so much for the quick response!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

OK, wait a second.

Do you know what the temperature of the water in the tank is right now?

Did you use dechlorinator when you did the water change?

Has anything changed immediately prior to the deaths starting yesterday?

How do you inject CO2?

Before you do anything else, we need a little more information before offering advice.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Also, how long has this tank been set up?

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

the temperature was at 79 degrees and now it's 75 (according to the heater), I didn't put in the dechlorinator before I put in the new water , should I do another water change? Everything seemed pretty relaxed yesterday morning.. However, last week I moved a few shrimp and one bumble bee goby from my girlfriend's tank into mine and everyone was really healthy and active until yesterday. For CO2, I use the DIY yeast and sugar combination. I have had the tank for almost a year now. Thank you so much for your help again! Sorry to keep you up so late at night.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

FreddiePete -

You aren't keeping me up. I'm up anyway.

Have you seen any change in the fish's condition since the water change and removing the CO2?

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddiePete View Post
the temperature was at 79 degrees and now it's 75 (according to the heater)
No heater is exactly accurate, most of mine are pretty far off. You need a small thermometer with a probe, like one of the coralife ones. Even a floating thermometer is more accurate. Heaters change over time as well. Hope the tank is doing better.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! I lowered the heater last night and during the day I was so surprised because everyone was swimming around happily and just now when I had come home from work they are back at the top . I'm not so sure what to do! Should I take the fish out and place them in a temporary tank and clean up the tank then place them back in?? It's bummertime in my tank! thank you so much for all of your helpful information! I am going to pick up a thermostat tomorrow afternoon!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Maybe your heater is faulty. It could be that the built in thermostat is not functioning properly.

Depending on how cool your house is, it might be a better idea to remove the heater from the tank if that is indeed the problem.

A quick water change should help as long as you use slightly cooler water. Don't forget to use the dechlorinator first.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

thank you so much for the help!! I just bought a thermostat and man was my heater totally off! It is set at 71 degrees but it is really 78 degrees in the tank right now. And that is after I lowered the temperature last night. I could only imagine how hot it was in there! Thank you so much! I will keep you posted and post pictures once my tank cleans up a little bit.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Good deal. Yep, even the pricey titanium heater with a thermostat controller I use in my reeftank is way way off..
Always use a thermometer, and even keep an eye on them too. I like using the digitals because they are more compact and less obtrusive in the tank. But I always keep a couple old style glass floaties around to double check, they are the old reliables.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just as an added thought, a little touch of your finger to the water can sometimes tell you when a tank's temp is off. If it feels like bath water, it's hot! I keep my tanks all at a cool range,low 70's.{except the reefs, they run 79-80} How are your fish doing?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:41 PM
Planted Member

Not sure if it is clear, but just to make sure. When you change water you have to use dechlorinator. Best way is to use it in the bucket with the new water before it goes in the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode