ro water at walmart? or where? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

PTrader: (108/98%)
ro water at walmart? or where?

i need some ro water! is walmart water ok for tanks?
the lfs wants 8.00 for 5 gallons of ro water. i was told walmart has water for 0.25 per gallon that is regular distilled water in a gallon jug. and they have a machine for water but im not sure how much it is! an help is good!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 05:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Why do you need RO Water?

If you're mixing it with Tap or using at 100% for your aquarium then you really should purchase a system to do it at home. The 'drinking water' machines at Walmart probably have atrociously high TDS levels.

$8 for 5 gallons of water is daylight robbery.

Unless you have a very good justification for using RO water you're probably better off just using your tap. Trying to maintain some water parameter ideal is a recipe for frustration.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via MSN to sea-horsea
its a crime for $8 on 5 gal. RO....even salt water don't cost that much...

yeah why do you need RO?

ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

i want ro for some tiger shrimp.my ph out of tap is 7.0,after when i do a 20% water change it goes from 6.8 to 6.3 after a few days. i have let 2 other people check it and the lfs checked it, the lfs uses test strips that i tn trust as much as the drop testers.
im using prime when i do water changes and use flourish. i thought it was a overdose of flourish!? so i quit using it for a few weeks still no change. the fish, snails and only ghost shrimp are fine,none dead or act funny but was told tigers a pickey on water and do best in ro water. i want them to breed eventually so i want there water ideal which is hard to do i know. i have never cared about the water before now and been fine for years.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
i would be lucky if water out of my tap came out at 7
over here in my area water usually comes out at 8 or 8.4 and running a south american bio tank its HARD to keep the ph at 6.5

if you want to keep the ph @ 7 or raise it, then just add some crushed coral or something to buffer it to your desired pH. just make sure you measure it often so as to not have a pH swing.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 02:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to nate_mcnasty
it should work fine but i would go on ebay and just buy an ro di filter it will save money in the long run. i got a good one on ebay for $100 including shipping brand new
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have a RO filter I bought off of ebay, and I love it. I paid around the same price as Nate, but it was a couple of years ago. I like the fact that I don't have to worry about crud in my tap water as well as messing with dechlorinators and such.

You wouldn't believe the junk that gets filtered out of tap water. I am sure my fish appreciate having nice clean water to swim in.

It isn't totally necessary, but it is nice to have.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

i dont have 100 bux to spend right now on a ro unit.

where can i get ro other than my local fish store at 8.00 for 5 gallons
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-29-2008, 08:12 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by customdrumfinishes View Post
where can i get ro other than my local fish store at 8.00 for 5 gallons
Lots of grocery stores have RO units. Look around - you probably just never noticed them. Look for an inspection sticker preferably with a dated TDS readings so you can verify that they looked at it after they put it in and plumbed it up. At stores near me the going rate is as low as $0.35 USD/gal.

HTH,
hank
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
are you experienced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Lots of grocery stores have RO units. Look around - you probably just never noticed them. Look for an inspection sticker preferably with a dated TDS readings so you can verify that they looked at it after they put it in and plumbed it up. At stores near me the going rate is as low as $0.35 USD/gal.

HTH,
hank

im guessing this is ok for fish and shrimps? i hear yes and no no no, so i wonder!?!?!?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by customdrumfinishes View Post
im guessing this is ok for fish and shrimps? i hear yes and no no no, so i wonder!?!?!?
given your parameters you should be fine with tiger shrimp

just do the usual, consistent water changes and make sure your temperature isn't too high

people like me, with hard water are the ones that really need RO water if we want to deal with soft-water fish and shrimp

it really sucks having hard water since you can have so many more neat things in soft water

i think RO might be overkill unless you have some funky stuff in your tap
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Planted Member

It's a bad idea to use only RO water, if you are not reconstituting it. Fish and plants need the minerals etc. that are usually present in tap water. But if your tap water is not usable, you can reconstitute the RO water, but you have to be much more careful with water changes so as to make sure you measure very carefully each time what you are adding. My tap water is close to RO....0KH and 0GH...and when reconstituting the GH for my plants I have to carefully measure what I add....a few times I added too much when doing a 50% water change and ended up with fish deaths as a result. Now I only do 25% water changes to be safe, and I'm more careful when I add the GH. Mixing RO and tap water to soften it is fine, as long as you measure correctly, each and every time.

Check out my website!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/94%)
^ Why is it a bad idea? Im not sure if fish need fluoride and chloride.Why cant they get the minerals they need from their food or the traces we dose?

@ customdrumfinishes: how large of a tank are you planning on filling with this RO water?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashappar View Post
it is really nice. you dont have to have it to be successful, but it makes it easier for folks that have less than ideal tap water.

RO shouldnt be such a hard sell. We spend tons more on CO2 and lighting systems. the chemicals you might put back into the RO to build it up are dirt cheap. For those with multiple tank syndrome - one decent RO unit gives you pure product water for all your tanks. I wish one decent light system could light all my tanks.
R/O is a hard sell if you live in areas that have either (a) water use restrictions or (b) an expensive municipal water supply. The same can be said for $8.00 per 5g of R/O water purchased at a LFS. You have to figure it takes probably 20+ gallons of water to get 5 gallons of R/O.

R/O might be nice to have, but I imagine almost all of us can get by without it.

Dave
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
my local grocery store has ro water for 30 cents a gallon. I purchased my own five gallon jugs with screw caps so I can just keep using them. I usually get 20 gallons of water for 6.00

I do weekly water changes with the tap.. but once a month I use ro water. just a habit.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode