overdose - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
overdose

will overdosing KNO3 do harm to the tank water,i have plenty of plants in the in there.I think i have a faulty test kit (API),only a couple months old,I keep getting the same reading on the nitrate test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I don't know what would be considered a K overdose or what it might do. I think KNO3 is generally considered safer than the nitrate formed by the tank's biofilter. But again, I'm not sure, I make sure to keep N at ~10ppm at all times. I'm sure anything can become toxic at elevated levels.

In regards to the API reagent, the API reps suggest you bang bottle #2 on the table as well as shake it for a minute (rather than the 30 secs the directions advise) . They claim this will avoid false negatives, not sure why it's not written into the directions. Also not sure if it'll affect your readings, but it's worth a shot. If I'm noticing things correctly, you'll see little silvery dots in the drops of N reagent bottle #2 when it's mixed correctly.

Have you tried testing distilled or RO water to rule out false positives? Left C has a calibration technique written up here, somewhere. By using that, I've found my API N reagents to be pretty accurate, maybe a tad off in color by about one ppm (my measurements of K were not done any more exact than a tenth of a gram, so lack of control could have skewed my results), but certainly closer than any of the other cheap reagents I've tested, like the Hagen.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

This might help you in your travels. He has a more updated version that I'm sure he'll share with you if you PM him.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
tks
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 12:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

np

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode