how can i make my water softer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Send a message via AIM to resowner92
how can i make my water softer

well i just had a second otto die on me (they have been in my tank for about a month). I found out they like soft water and i just tested my water and i have hard water. So i was wondering is there any ways to lower it?

Neil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Honestly, I'd be surprised if it was the water hardness that killed them. They can be a bit sensitive, but not as much as most people tend to think. The key seems to be making sure they are well fed, and making sure there are no ammonia spikes etc (things that are important to all fish).

What are your water parameters (gh, kh, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, co2)?

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Oh, the only ways to lower hardness is by using RO water or peat

Mike

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have hard water as well and I am able to keep ottos just fine. Like mpodolan said, people find they can be rather sensitive, so just take your time when acclimating them. If you can use the drip method that would be best.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

hmm

well my params are
gh: 150
kh: 120-180 (couldnt really tell)
ammonia: .5
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
phosphate: dont have tests for
co2: none

i am using test strips so they can be off

Neil

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Yeah, lately I've been an otto-killing machine. Gone through six so far. I have hard water, but I think it is an issue of the condition of them when I bought them and the use of aquarium salt in the LFS tanks. Also I suspect my cichlids might have ganged up on one particularly small one.

So for now I've given up on having ottos in the tank. Unfortunate since I have a pretty significant brown diatom issue right now.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well, there ya go. Ammonia is pretty deadly for fish. Why is there any ammonia in the water? Is your tank not cycled?

Mike

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

it should be its been up since jan

Neil

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Well, a cycled tank shouldn't register any ammonia. It is possible for ammonia to spike for a few reasons. Have you lost any other fish? Sometimes fish will die in planted tanks, and we don't notice. They rot and spike the ammonia level. I'd suggest doing a water change to reduce the ammonia levels. If any fish are already stressed or weak (possible with the oto that you lost), any detectable amount of ammonia may kill them

Mike

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thats it both my fish i found were rotting when i found them so thats probably it but once i found my 1st one i made sure and did a wc. my first one died wednesday i think so it hasnt been long

Neil

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ill brb i have to go to the dentist so srry if i dont respond

Neil

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yep, it doesn't take long for them to start rotting and foul the water. If you haven't done another water change since finding this second one rotting, go ahead and do one to help reduce the ammonia and its potential effects on your remaining fish

Mike

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by resowner92 View Post
well i just had a second otto die on me (they have been in my tank for about a month). I found out they like soft water and i just tested my water and i have hard water. So i was wondering is there any ways to lower it?
What is the hardness of your water? Is it possible the deaths are due to something else? To make softer water you need a Reverse Osmosis/De- Ionizer unit.My ottos are doing well in water that is neither hard nor soft.

Best not to start a reply at noon then finish it at 6 and then hit submit. At least if you don't want to remove all doubt that you're an idiot.

Mark

Last edited by MarkMc; 04-07-2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
What is the hardness of your water? Is it possible the deaths are due to something else? To make softer water you need a Reverse Osmosis/De- Ionizer unit.My ottos are doing well in water that is neither hard nor soft.

Best not to start a reply at noon then finish it at 6 and then hit submit. At least if you don't want to remove all doubt that you're an idiot.
Hahaha...nice, Mark!

Mike

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

anything else i can do?

Neil

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode