Water Problems, please help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Water Problems, please help

I have some issues with my nitrates. I tested my tap water about 2 weeks ago and found 15ppm in my tap water. Ok, so use this water for water changes and continue to test my tank water. Nitrates were holding steady at about 12ppm in the tank. I continued my water changes (the last one was Friday) and added a canister filter with media from my old Aquaclear. Today I tested the nitrate levels in my tank and they were at 0. So I decided to test my tap water again and that is also now at 0 when it was at 15ppm 2 weeks ago. I then took a sample of my tap water and added Flourish Nitrogen, retested and found out that my test kit is working. What's going on and how quickly should I up my Nitrate level with Flourish Nitrate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
IMO it's not that unusual for tap water parameters to fluctuate. You could contact your water treatment company and get a report, and if you can get a person on the phone ask about their acceptable ranges for nitrAtes. Could even be that some of the plumbing is old between the water treatment plant and your house, tree roots often break through water pipes and a good rain will send in all kinds of things through the cracks...

IMO I'd just dose based on what over time seems to keep the nitrAtes in your tank between 10-20ppm- good range for your plants and still safe for livestock. Keeping a journal would help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I guess I should have specified that I have a well. How much should I dose daily to raise the levels?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Ugh I hate these math problems...lol.

For the Flourish Nitrogen, Seachem says dose 1ml per 20g of water twice a week. Each ml raises the nitrate levels by about 1.5ppm, if I'm reading this right. Plus the nitrate levels will increase naturally with fish in the tank, so just keep testing until you hit 15-20ppm.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
LOL if you have a well you just need to expect fluctuations- goes with the territory (I do too so I feel your pain! )

I agree with Lego- there's no simple answer, and your plant load, plant growth/uptake, and bioload will all have a significant impact on your nitrAte uptake in the tank, and these types of things change over time... so you'll just have to experiment and see what seems to average out best for your tank!

Over time if you keep a journal you'll start to get a feel for your tank yourself and probably won't have to rely so much on the periodic testing...

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode