Good Osmocote Source - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good Osmocote Source

Hi All,

Would like to buy/order some Osmocote root tabs/capsules for my freshwater planted tank. What is a good source in the US? Root feeding plants will mainly be amazon swords, bananas, crypts, maybe aponogetons.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Can't go better than free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's the rebate site !
http://www.plantersplace.com/rebate?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks. Let me be more specific. I have never used or seen Osmocote, just read about it so please pardon my ignorance. I am looking for Osmocote - or is it Osmocote Plus that I am looking for?

I am looking for the Osmocote Plus capsules (? 00 capsules filled with Osmocote?) that I can slip into my substrate for fertilizing my rooting plants such as swords. I do not wish to get the 00 caps separately and fill them. In other words, it should be the readymade caps with the Osmocote in it . I just take the cap and shove it into the gravel like any root tab. Thx.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

One more question: once you have a capsule with Osmocote Plus filled in it, how easy/messy is it to use the cap when I try to bury it in the substrate? Or do I need to freeze the cap in an ice cube before putting into the substrate? Thx.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 02:45 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (130/100%)
Osmocote Plus is the one you want. Walmart sells it.

Having it in gelcaps is neater than ice cubes, because it takes the cap a couple hours to start dissolving (just a guess, dont hold me too that 2 hours but you get the point). With ice cubes, if you're not rather quick putting it where you want it, some stray balls will start dropping out due to the ice melting. The balls sink, so they will be frozen on the very bottom side of the ice cube, not in the middle. It's not really a big deal, just be prepared to have to push a few stray balls down as well. Also, the fact they sink means they'll be lying on the bottom, not floating around or anything, so it's not difficult at all to bury a few strays.

Lots of people sell ready made gel caps on *bay, I believe there may be a user here that sells them as well. Could try using the search function on the sale/trade forum. Ive always just made them myself or used the ice cubes

Last edited by burr740; 05-06-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It's far cheaper and very easy to make you own. Buy the Osmocote Plus from the big stores mentioned in this thread. Then go on the bay or amazon to get 00 gel caps. I got 1000 for about $12 shipped and will last me 1.5 -2 yrs in my 135gal.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Plenty of people selling them on here in the For Sale section.

I hear you can get capsules from supplement stores too. But I prefer to buy on here.

Evolve-lution Member:

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2014, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciate your replies.

Tags
ferts, osmocote, root tabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode