Mixing RO - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Mixing RO

I was wondering how I would go about on mixing RO w/ Tap water in my tank? As I have only used tap water in my WC and wanted to lower down my PH by mixing RO, but don't want to do it right away and kill my shrimp population. Any help how I can do this safely? I tested my PH and the low PH test showed 7.6 while the High PH range showed 7.4? Not sure of my true PH. I would like to shower it down to about a 6.8? Help please. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 02:44 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I would estimate your pH at 7.5- split the difference, lol

No matter what you'll need to change the parameters slowly, so my 2cents would say just do say a 10% PWC daily replacing with RO water. Wait an hour and test your pH and hardness, see if you can measure any change. Keep doing this till you get where you want to be. If you do it slowly and space out the RO additions, then you'll get a good idea of how much it takes to make your parameters drop, which will also give you a good idea of when to top off with tap water vs RO water in the future.

IMO this is the simple way to do it.

The more complicated way would involve doing the math and always keeping premixed RO/tap water on hand for each PWC... I'm too lazy for that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

what could have raised my ph back up? I had it at 7.4-7.5 before and it dropped to about 7.2 or abit less. What could have caused the PH to raise back up by .2/.3? My tap water is originally 7-7.2. Why is my PH much higher?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:14 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

What else do you have in the tank?

Substrate?

Rocks?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

pagoda rocks. eco complete substrate. After setting up my DIY Co2 i noticed the ph went down a little but i just checked my tank today and the ph went back up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am watter changing with an RO /tap mix and it seems to not want to move down in the beginning.

And thain all of a sudden it will drop, maybe something leaching out of the substrate or whatever

I made a an RO /tap mix in a bucket,,,,
just add say 2 inches of RO and 2 inches of tap 50% mix = 4 inches, now test it
ops need more tap water 6 inches in the bucket =1 part RO to 2 parts tap mix now test it
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

How long has the Eco been in there? I'm hearing more and more reports of Eco raising and buffering pH. I just bought some bags that I'm going to return because of it. I can see shells and stuff in the bags that just should not be there- and would definitely impact my tank's pH and hardness... I'm going to switch out for Fluorite.

What are "pagoda rocks"?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've had this eco in the tank for almost a year. about 9 months. Not sure I saw them at an aquarium store and purchased them because they looked nice.
I wish I can swap substrate because I would go ADA, but I dont have another tank to do so and don't want it to cause any spikes.https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...ps-please.html
that is what was labeled as pagoda rocks, and thank you for your replies!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 09:14 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

My guess is that between your rocks and your substrate your gH is slowly increasing, which is also raising your pH... That's just my guess though. If there's alot of evaporation going on with your tank that will also raise the gH over time...

To me the ideal pH and gH 9x/10 matches your tap water- so I'd do some daily partial water changes (PWC) and in a week see how the parameters compare?

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My water does evaporate over time. By the end of the week (i do x1 weekly WC) Close into the end of the week the water level drops abit, because my tank is open. I will check my water today for PH and GH

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode