Only the stem plants in my tank are growing pale!! Help please!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to gentledental4u
Only the stem plants in my tank are growing pale!! Help please!!

Hey I'm having a tough time figuring this one out. My apons are growing a nice green color, but my rotala and my ludwigia are both coming in very pale. I did some research and figure it has something to do with lack of nutrient that helps with chlorophyll, but I haven't narrowed it down to anything yet. If anyone else has seen this...please help.

Here's my tank for the water parameters::

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ph...urnal-56k.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	6806  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rotala.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	6807  

For a good time, click on this link:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
They look like they are coloring up to me. Not unhealthy at all. If you want them to stay green, you need to either drop your light intensity, or change to "green plants".

If I am seeing this wrong and you are clear there is a problem, are you dosing?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Indeed. They look fine to me. They are not bright green plants to begin with. They look to be coloring up to their natural colors. I would try to address that algae issue though

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
ackk.. they look starved, C02 deprived and algae riddled
to me.

Mr Dentist, the plants need food, N-P-K Trace minerals
and good C02 with a good flow/current, or greatly reduce
light intensity.

Clean up the tank, re-move all that algae on the glass
clean and prune the plants, then feed them good.

You're plants need a healthy diet for strong teeth and bones.

If you are a dentist, the inside of your tank looks like the
inside of someones mouth that has not brushed or flossed
in some time.

Need better hygiene skills

w/Regards

gmccreedy, moogoo, you think they look good? seriously?

Craig

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
They are coloring up but I think they could use a lil more nutrients. Fight that algae, algae can starve your poor plants.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh my,
those little tips are fading out not coloring
up, look down the stem, see how the rest of it looks?

Look around the tank, see a problem?

Come on guys you are telling on yourself.

Craig

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I always seen my rotala come in that way and it was healthy. Maybe there is something I am not seeing.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I just wanted you to say it so I didn't have too.

Craig

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
@ wolfen..

I don't think the plants are super healthy, but I don't think they're melting either. His question was why are the plants fading. I don't think they're fading, just coloring up.

He definitely needs to address the algae issue and clean up the tank, prune and treat the plants better. They look to be barely surviving as only the top portions have any sign of health and the bottom portions look very poor.

Nice analogy with the dental hygiene though
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WfxXx View Post
I just wanted you to say it so I didn't have too.
Haha, I still think that they are "healthy" but not healthy enough to combat with algae.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I scraped the glass and got most of the algae out and did a 80% water change...i tested the phosphates and now they are at 2-3 ppm versus 10 ppm before...

I have Co2 at 22 ppm now and dose nitrates to 10 ppm and use seachem flourish 2x a week per instructions.

I do not dose phosphates or potassium.. I used to dose KCl to 20 ppm, but whenever i do that, the plants get stunted growth.... i read cuz it blocks the uptake of calcium?

feel free to blast me if i'm doing anything wrong k?

Quote:
ackk.. they look starved, C02 deprived and algae riddled
to me.

Mr Dentist, the plants need food, N-P-K Trace minerals
and good C02 with a good flow/current, or greatly reduce
light intensity.

Clean up the tank, re-move all that algae on the glass
clean and prune the plants, then feed them good.

You're plants need a healthy diet for strong teeth and bones.

If you are a dentist, the inside of your tank looks like the
inside of someones mouth that has not brushed or flossed
in some time.

Need better hygiene skills

w/Regards

gmccreedy, moogoo, you think they look good? seriously?

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Lighting::: 2 x 65 watt 6700K Daylight + 1 x 55 watt 9325K GE Daylight

CO2::: Pressurized CO2 w/ 10 lb. CO2 tank introduced into the tank with a glass diffuser running @ 75 bubbles per minute

Nutrients::: Seachem Flourish [KNO3] [Plantex CSM+B]

Flow::: 1 x Maxi-Jet 900 Powerhead w/ 230 GPH
How long are you burning the light? what is your schedule?
That is a ton of light for a 40g.
and what kind/brand lights?

Do you not have a filter? you need the bio-media.

What is your dosing schedule? Just N- small amount of K+
and some TE? with 180watts of light? hehe

Craig

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
How long are you burning the light? what is your schedule?
That is a ton of light for a 40g.
and what kind/brand lights?

Do you not have a filter? you need the bio-media.

What is your dosing schedule? Just N- small amount of K+
and some TE? with 180watts of light? hehe
the lights are ahsupply 1 x 55 ge 9325K and 2 x 65 custom sea life with coralife 6700K bulbs

I'm trying to follow your schedule that you have about dosing like the one from your thread...EI?

i've been running it for 12 hours...but i was thinking of making 7 hours...

penny for your thoughts???

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Joey,
My 40g tank (which you've been over and seen) has a pair of 96w CF bulbs over it. Back when you were still in the neighborhood my light schedule was to have one light on for 14hrs and the second one running 10hrs in the middle of the 14 hrs.

But I was dosing heavily N-P-K as well as 40ml of Flourish/TMG a week. CO2 was never less than 30ppm and often was more than double that.

The only algae problem I ever had was Clado, which unfortunately is not an algae that only rears its ugly head when there's imbalance in nutrient levels. It thrives when plants thrive, and boy did my plants thrive....to the point where I pulled out all the stems, planted a Crypt farm and lowered my lighting schedule to 10hr a day with both bulbs on for only 4 hrs mid span.

For me bi-weekly plant trimming got old fast.

Bill

|
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada View Post
Joey,
My 40g tank (which you've been over and seen) has a pair of 96w CF bulbs over it. Back when you were still in the neighborhood my light schedule was to have one light on for 14hrs and the second one running 10hrs in the middle of the 14 hrs.

But I was dosing heavily N-P-K as well as 40ml of Flourish/TMG a week. CO2 was never less than 30ppm and often was more than double that.

The only algae problem I ever had was Clado, which unfortunately is not an algae that only rears its ugly head when there's imbalance in nutrient levels. It thrives when plants thrive, and boy did my plants thrive....to the point where I pulled out all the stems, planted a Crypt farm and lowered my lighting schedule to 10hr a day with both bulbs on for only 4 hrs mid span.

For me bi-weekly plant trimming got old fast.
wow 40 ml....wow....i've been dosing only 5 ml 3 x so that's only 15 ml. flourish....

back in the day, how come you didn't lower the lighting schedule? do stem plants need a longer photoperiod, that's why?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode