distorted growth on tip,,, - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
distorted growth on tip,,,

Have just started to use RO water, reason being the desire to breed a few tetras.
I have been performing water changes with softer water for about 3 weeks figuring that a slow change will be a safe route.

But things are getting really ugly

At the same time I hacked everything pack, and rearranged the whole thing and added 20 root tabs, also
finaly got rid of all the duckweed that was covering the tank, so the light increased.
Fert level is a bit on the high side.
At first the duckweed was interesting and after a while that stuff has a mind of it's own and didn't want to leave!

A few crypt wendtii red are melting, and the bronze is just looking sort of pale.

gh = 260
Ca = 60mg/l
mg= 27mg/l

ph degassed = 8.0
ph with co2 = 6.8/6.6

The red temple plant has a few holes in the leaves and the tips are
small and distorted.

also a new patch of red algae that has never been in the tank before

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
First of which I am not positive on this but this is what I have seen in my tank. The Alternanthera reneckii may have a deficiency related to Pottasium(K) or Phosphates(K). Most time people leave it up to the fish and fish food to provide these nutrients. Are you dosing these seperatly? If not try dosing som PK. I'd like someone more knowing to chime in because I can only speak from experience.

The change in the water parameters will cause the Cryptocorynes to melt. Just give it time and watch them carefully. They may be just adjusting to the new water. Im sorry I cannot help with the algae. The best I can say is Take a better pic of it and then remove it manually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to frozenbarb
Maybe add some calcium my athernathera used to be like that. After i added MgSO4 my althernanthera started blooming in growth

One month in.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:28 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to gentledental4u
First off John, good job providing us with pictures so we can see what's going on.

Do you have a pond snail problem in your tank? If not, then we can rule out that they are eating your plants.

So if it's not snails, the I'm going to go with ^ and say that it's a potassium deficiency cuz it looks like you've got enough Ca and Mg.

Good luck!

For a good time, click on this link:

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentledental4u View Post
First off John, good job providing us with pictures so we can see what's going on.

Do you have a pond snail problem in your tank? If not, then we can rule out that they are eating your plants.

So if it's not snails, the I'm going to go with ^ and say that it's a potassium deficiency cuz it looks like you've got enough Ca and Mg.

Good luck!
I wouldnt say Pond Snails unless they are baby Giant Pond Snails. I have had Pond Snails in my tank and not had any plants eaten. My Giant Pond Snail would tear up the plants though.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am dosing and right now

N = 10 to 15 ppm
P = 1 or 1.5 ppm
K = test maxes out at 3 ppm and a guess ,,,, 10 ppm
Thinking about geting a better test.
Fe= .3 ppm

And there are what I think are Rams horn snails,,,
really flat ones in the tank, I thought they were ok.
Can the holes be from them?

I was thinking the problem was mg or K but It is all there
but I am new at this.

Lighting is

2x55 8.5 hours
2x96 7 hours

co2 is on a controller

I also just cleaned the filters two weeks ago.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Are the shells sideways and the snails really small? If so these are snails that will eat plants. Lemme see if I can find a link.

Look Here for the pic of a Mini Ramshorn Snail. These are plant Eaters.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James From Cali View Post
Here for the pic of a Mini Ramshorn Snail. These are plant Eaters.
Where'd you get that info?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I was reading that online. Im not sure where but I will find the link. I have even caught them eating at my neighbors plants(Some hygros and rotala greown in a 5g tank).

Here is a statement from a site:

"The smaller varieties (under 1 cm) are not too damaging to a plant tank, although they seem to relish the tender leaves of the Hygrophila family."

http://www.mtbaker.wednet.edu/harmon...orn_snails.htm

Alternanthera reneckii has more tender leaves then hygrophila imo. Now Im sure Mini Ramshorn's will fall into this catergory. If not then sorry for the inaccurate information.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I dunno, just wondering and being wary. I've never seen these snails munching my plants, have always attributed holes in my AR and hygro to my own falters, they're good indicators. I guess I'll have to keep a look out for the snails but I'm not convinced their mouths are strong enough, I'd have to see it to believe it.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Turned on the lights early this morning to see if I can find any other snails, but ony these.
They do look like the mini, so,, I think I have found somewhare that puffers eat snails.
Any other way to get rid of them?

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to gentledental4u
Two Words: Clown Loaches!!!! They will rip them up!!

Has the growth improved?

For a good time, click on this link:

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would rather have Clown Loaches thain a puffer,,,
but I thought they eat plants???

Actually I am about to head out to the LFS I wanted to pick up some kuhli loaches.

Has the growth improved? Algae yes plants too early to tell
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I would avoid getting any kind of large Loach unless you can house it properly. Removing manually and squishing the eggs are the best destruction of snails.

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnnn_h View Post
Any other way to get rid of them?
Yeah, send them to me.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode