Using seachem ferts are the water changes as big? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using seachem ferts are the water changes as big?

Hi there,

I am still weighing up what fert method to use it's either ei or seachem stuff but was wondering if the water changes needed are as big with seachem stuff compared to those that are needed with ei

Regards Darren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 05:13 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd say probably not, unless your setup is very light-intensive? I don't believe that Seachem's dosing regime "overdoses" the way that EI does.

Trial and error are really the only way to go to find the "sweet spot" between dosing and PWC- every tank is going to be a little different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Sounds about right. Unless you have very high lighting and are dosing a lot of Seachem's ferts, the water changes should be less than with ei ferts.

Plus, Seachem's stuff dissipates from the system after 24hrs. Anything that hasn't been used by the plants, that is.
I still do 40-50% weekly on mine and I use the Flourish line, but I am a total perfectionist so...

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 01:48 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Seachem's stuff leaves the system in 24hours? Where did you see that? Are you talking about Prime only detoxing ammonia for 24 hours and confusing that with ferts? (The ammonia is still available for fixing when using Prime, BTW, just non-toxic to livestock)

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:06 AM
Aroid Addict

Think so...I may be confusing it with Prime. I thought I saw that somewhere on Seachem's website. I may be TOTALLY wrong though. I'll head over the site and see it I can dig that up.

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Aroid Addict

Found it. It's on the Flourish Excel FAQs. here's the link. It's like the EDIT-third question down.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/...Excel_faq.html

---

post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Aroid Addict

I only found this on the Excel FAQ, but I sent Seachem an e-mail to find out if this applies to all the Flourish line, or just Excel. I'll let you know their response.

---

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

That's really interesting- I'd never read that- good research!

Based on that, sounds like anyone using Excel to fight algae should dose every 24 hours for best results!

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi thanks for that,

I really don't know what way to go I have been reading on the net and I think I am more unsure back to reading.....

The concern over the water changes is we are in a biggest drought in 130yrs (our city's water storages are at 9%) and not sure I can justify such massive water changes weekly.

Regards Darren

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Aroid Addict

Wow, I see what you mean. I just now realized that you were from down under! I'd stick with Flourish stuff, with ei, you are dosing excess nutrients, and like I said, at least Excel, if not all of the Flourish line, dissipates after 24 hours.

You could easily go a few extra days without water changes, if need be. Use Prime or other de-nitrifier to take care of any extra waste.

---

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Aroid Addict

You could back off on the volume of your water changes too by using Flourish. With ei, you're probably doing like 50%, with Flourish, you could easily drop to 10% if you have to.

---

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Aroid Addict

Alright, I heard back from the Seachem rep. I guess only Excel dissipates after 24 hours, all the others just stay in the system until used up by the plants.

---

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Good to know about the Excel- new info to me- thanks!

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for that, are flourish and excel all i should be using as ferts?

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by duzzy View Post
Thanks for that, are flourish and excel all i should be using as ferts?
Flourish would supply your trace elements and Excel would be your alternative carbon source; what about your macros (NPK)?

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode