What is the ideal Magnesium level in Tropical tank.? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What is the ideal Magnesium level in Tropical tank.?

I am starting PPS dosing and want to know what is the ideal Magnesium level in a Tropical Tank.

What is the effect if I over dose

What if I under dose

Will any Magnesium test kit be ok with a tropical tank, ie can I use a marine one?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (85/100%)
Hi,

I came across a sticky at Aquatic Plant Central for PPS-Pro, it has everything you need there.

For Mg according to PPS-Pro it's 0.1 ppm per day. roughly 0.04 gram of Epsom Salt into 10 gallon of water per day.

I don't know about the effect of OD or UD.

Kevin
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 04:45 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Overdose isn't a problem unless it's like 100+ppm. It's a MgSO4 is a salt.

I hear Mg deficiency is a lot like calcium deficiency. The leaves get deformed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Anywhere between .1 ppm(as logn as you adding it often, this is pretty lean by most standards..... and 10ppm seems fine, Davis tap water had 52ppm with a range of 30-78ppm out my tap. Very high.

Tropica master grow trace has a little added.
PMDD, long pre dating PPS pro and curiously similar in virtually all respects, adds Mg, EI adds it, ADA adds it , every fert routine does...........

Mg deficient plants express is in, Anubias tend to get this weird yellow veining, not as dark green. Some others can get twisted leaves or progressively smaller stunted growth. Can look somewhat like CO2 deficiency.

General experience dating back 15 years even at high lighting suggest 1/4 teaspoon of Epsom salt per 20 gallons 2x a week is plenty. You should check your tap water. The potential for Ca deficiency is generally very low with Tap GH's, but more common with Mg.

Generally, adding a multi range GH booster is preferred these days, but you can add just MgSO4 if you want and know the Ca and K+ are fine. This adds Ca, Mg, K+ and is done just like a water change routine with tap that has a good GH, except you add more GH than what's there in the tap to ensure no deficiencies.

High GH has(say up to 9-10) no adverse impact on any plant I am aware of(and having grown 300+ species to a high level of healthy nice growth, I'd okay with saying that). Many of my tanks and plant species I grew had even higher GH than that, but I only grew perhaps 70 species in GH tap water that was 24 degrees.

High Ca+ is not likely to cause issues, that I do know, but really high Mg might(or might not).

Most folks have high KH if they have high GH also, that, rather than KH is the issue.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode