Name that deficiency!! Please Help (pics inside) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Name that deficiency!! Please Help (pics inside)

Hi There,

Here's my issue:

wide shot to show the extent

And this on the Java Fern:

According to the articles I've looked at it, could be a number of things including: potassium def, magnesium def, nitrate def, other. SO I thought i'd ask the experts and see what they had to say. Its been difficult for me to pin it down because it doesnt seem to affect all of the plants.

here you can see a pic of the rotella(?)

Here are the parameters i have handy:
55g
EI Dosing per the sheet (40 - 60 Gal)
macro Mon, Wed, Fri
micro Tue, Thur, Sat
Sat 50% WC
lighting is 2 x 65w for 5 hours/day (8am - 12pm, break, 4pm - 10pm)
additional 2 x 65w 5 hours/day (10am - 12pm, break, 4pm - 7pm)

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
We need a little more info on your GH but my guess is low Nitrates and possibly low Co2 as well, you are injecting Co2 right? Do you have a DC? What is its color?

I would eliminate that break in the photoperiod and just do straight 10hr or 8hrs, I know you are trying to mimic natural systems but our tanks no matter how hard we try isn't even remotely close to one so get rid of the break, it's useless IMO. The 5hrs of the additional 2x65watt puts a lot of demand on the system, during this time Co2 and ferts needs to be in check, if not you will have issues 'which you have first hand experience of now'

I would use only 2x65watts for 10hrs straight, tweak your Co2 and maintain current EI dosings until you can get a handle on your system for now.

Last edited by deicide; 03-05-2008 at 06:48 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
The dosing schedule is fine.
You have a C02 & lighting issue.

The lighting schedule looks whacked, it appears
you have light on the plants from 8am until
10pm way to much.

The plants will grow back once you balance
light & C02 to a more realistic level.

Either run the light from 8am~4pm or from 2pm~10pm.
8hrs is plenty, 10 hours is pushing it on a highlight tank.

Use 2x65x8hrs for a couple weeks and get the
plants back in shape, then you can use the extra
2x65 somewhere within that 8hr period.

Light is the driving force of a tank, plants need plenty
of C02 during this time.
Plants also need plenty of darkness and 02.

Craig

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks guys,

Yes I am using pressurized CO2 and the drop checker remains in the green but I don't have a solenoid so it's on 24x7.

The only reason I had the lighting weird like it is, is because I wanted to be able to see the tank before work and then through out the evening. There is a 4 hour break in the middle where the tank lights are off and the tank doesn't really get any ambient light.

Never the less, it sounds like I cant have my cake and eat it too I will try the continuous hunk of light with 2 x 65 approach you are suggesting until I can balance the system.

I should be aiming for a GH of around 3 degrees correct? Nitrates between 10 - 20ppm? I'll check those parameters this evening and report back.

Edit: Does that weird growth on the Java fern fall into what you suspect may be the problem (low nitrates/CO2)?

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
You are using 4KH standard, right? When was the lastime you refreshed it? Where in the tank is it mounted in relation to the Co2 output? Also what is your GH now?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
I had Java do poorly with EI + poor CO2.
With good CO2, it grows extremely well.

Your plants all look CO2 deficient.
You have several species there to chose from and they all show the signs.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Regards,
Tom Barr
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbman7 View Post
The only reason I had the lighting weird like it is, is because I wanted to be able to see the tank before work and then through out the evening. There is a 4 hour break in the middle where the tank lights are off and the tank doesn't really get any ambient light.

Never the less, it sounds like I cant have my cake and eat it too I will try the continuous hunk of light with 2 x 65 approach you are suggesting until I can balance the system.
You may want to try lunar lights.

I've installed lunar lights on a timer...... this extends my viewing time without over extending my photo period. I have the lunar lights come on for one hour in the morning (before I leave for work), one hour before "lights on" in the afternoon and one hour after "lights off" in the evening.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicide View Post
You are using 4KH standard, right?
No, but I will now.

Quote:
When was the lastime you refreshed it? Where in the tank is it mounted in relation to the Co2 output? Also what is your GH now?
I just refreshed my drop checker last Saturday. It is on the same side as my diffuser but in an opposite corner. I guess I could be getting false readings.

My GH is at 10 degrees. <-- This is something else I have found perplexing. My tap water is only 3 degrees but for whatever reason this tank has had a much higher GH for its entire life. I'm pretty sure that I don't have any rocks that would alter hardness. Does Eco Complete alter hardness?

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2008, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
We need a little more info on your GH but my guess is low Nitrates and possibly low Co2 as well

Nitrates @ 40ppm

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 01:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Does that weird growth on the Java fern fall into what you suspect may be the problem (low nitrates/CO2)?
Do you mean this circled part?

If so, that's just a new java fern leaf coming up. That's how they look when they're brand new. It will fill in with green and look "normal" over time.

Will
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 05:14 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
mrbman7, is that ammania gracilis in your first pic? If it is, it looks similar to mine. I've been struggling with it for months already.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Mo co2. Get a 4dkh reagent and then your drop checker reading will be true.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode