What could be the deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What could be the deficiency?

My plants are not looking too hot right now, and I'm trying to figure out why. I dose KNO3, K2SO4, K2PO4, and CSM+B 3 x a week and do a large water change on Sun. (Basically, EI dosing based on amounts in the Dosing Regimes sticky)

I run 4x55W on a 3 hour burst in the middle, with 2x55W for the other 4 hours the lights are on. I have pressurized CO2, but I am not sure what the levels are. I think they are probably pretty good because I accidentally killed a molly when I cranked it up, and then I decided to run it 24/7 with it cranked up even higher (there are no fish in the tank currently). I just got my Excel in today, as well as my drop checkers. I just placed an order for 4dkH solution. Anyone have any ideas on what is missing?

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Im kind of in the same boat as you are. How big is your tank? Mine is a 55G

According to what I've read, mine appears to be either a calcium or magnesium deficiency (twisted/stunted growth) but the plants seem to remain the same even if I dose those. It's frustrating

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
mrbman7, I have also had twisted/stunted growth with too little Nitrates....

fishscale, what is wrong with the growth?

First thing I would do is get a dropchecker and see if your CO2 levels are sufficient.

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
I wouldn't think nitrates would be low. I'm dosing per EI for the 40-60Gal. I was curious what specific growth problems fishscale was having as well

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 03:22 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you have to define "not looking too hot"..
yellowing? necrosis? algae?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
All of the above. My beautiful HC lawn might be all dead (I left for break for a week, and it is looking pretty much gone now). Many of my stem plants are looking more and more transparent, my java fern is browning around the edges (the rhizome is not buried), and I am getting droopy stunted growth. There are diatoms everywhere (this is a newly filled tank, and I am trying to get it stabilized), and my stems are also darkening/wilting. The only thing that is growing, oddly enough, is my dwarf hair grass. It has spread and gotten greener. I'm really busy this week (and will be until the end of time), but I am going to do a lot of water changes to try to get my cycle under control (I think I added too much ammonia and I am stuck in an endless cycle), and I will try to move some otos and shrimp after I am sure the tank is safe. Still, I am not sure why my stems are doing so poorly.

I also suspected CO2, and I am working on getting my drop checker up and running. I still need the 4dkH solution, which I am waiting on, but I don't think CO2 is the problem. I am injecting way too much of it to have a deficiency.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
wow. sorry to hear..
It's a major meltdown... Your plant's should survive and grow back though... They're weeds after all.

I doubt it's CO2 as well.. I'd lower your lights until things are back to normal.

So you went away for a week with lights on and no dosing? That could be the problem... And do you dose Ca & Mg? Make yourself a GH booster.

ps.. you can make a 4dkh with no problem.. You need distilled water a smidgen of baking soda and a KH test kit... And a PH test kit to add a few drops in the solution.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode